We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Money - what would you do? Hypothetically.

exdragon

Likes # 0

After watching Syndicate last night (group of workmates won £18 million on the lottery), we were discussing how we would apportion some of the winnings to the family. So, say you (on your own or with one partner, no syndicate) won - for the sake of argument - £20 million, how would you share it with your family?

On one hand, one daughter/son in law/granddaughter and on the other, one daughter/four grandchildren and three partners/four great grandchildren.

I don't mean giving money to charity, cats homes or whatever - just your immediate family.

As I said, totally hypothetical, unfortunately!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Here's my plan for a decent sized win.

Pay off my sister's mortgage

Give a wedge of cash to the parents of my 4 god-children to be invested until they're 18

Buy a nice, but not lavish, house with about an acre of land for dogs to run wild.

Buy a nice, but not flash car.

The bulk of the cash to be invested wisely & securely so as to provide an annual income.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Didn't that young dustbin man think something like that, and still ended up on the dole :O)

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

The first thing I would do is ensure I had opted for no publicity whatsoever!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure about the car,But would probably trade the wife in for a newer model.

Keep the central heating on 24/7 during the winter.

Never ever had much money to spare but you learn to live with what you have.

I think just seeing the family alright would be the High point.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Allocate a relatively small part of the capital for update house, car etc. Hire for a short period somebody to fend off all begging letters. Invest principal to yield income. Use that to pay off grand children's upcoming University fees,provide modest help for older children and grandchildren to have modest housing. Then see how much to allocate to a charity or two. I would only live a bit better than I do now; I have no wish to "live it up".

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

If the young dustbin man you're refering to is the person I think you mean then ending up on the dole is probably a consequence of spending lots of money on drugs, lurid gold jewellery and cars to crash on the track he excavated in his back yard.

I'm a little more sensible than that...

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I have thought this through to a possibly unhealthy degree.

Firstly, I second the no publicity idea!

I would buy myself a home outright. Somewhere local. Due to mobility issues it would be a decent sized bungalow and it may need some work. There may be the option of building. though I've no experience of managing such a project.

Speaking of property, my parents' place is not the best, mobility wise, so I may insist on having them chloroformed* and move them to a suitable property.

I would then do some things for family and friends, before looking into charities.**

What to do fro which family and friends and whether to make any stipulations is something I find difficult, especially with one person who is not known for financial sense, or indeed having money, or observing the law, or staying clean and sober...

One thing I may do is "pay" myself X amount a month and leave the rest in savings, perhaps using some now and then if need be. It would be a comfortable amount to cover essentials, bills and luxuries.

It may well make a big difference if the amount was 1 million or 10, though it may not. I struggle to conceive if such amounts and the interest they would accrue once initial spending is done.

*This is a joke, based on the fact that they have made quite clear that they have no intention of moving again.

** I have not read the link on the tax implications of gifts.

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

I may, money depending, buy a "get away" or two. I only have one in mind and its in the UK, but would cost into the 100,000s (wouldn't anywhere, I guess).

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

First employ a very good accountant to find out how to give the maximum amounts with minimum tax to our children, grandchildren, and other members of the family. Treat them all to the holiday of their dreams (whatever that maybe). Go on lots of holidays. Pay for 1 year's town C*mas lights.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

I see "The Scream" is up for sale, anyone have it on their list?...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features