We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hunger Games - a question

wee eddie
Resolved

Likes # 0

As a SciFi Reader, for about the last 50 years or so, I was fascinated to watch the On-line Trailers for The Hunger Games.

The first one I watched reminded me of a Tale that I had read in the 60's, so when watching the Second Trailer, I was unsurprised to see the Edge of the Arena Effect, when the stone and then the Axe, bounced back.

My question is not to complain about plagiarism but to ask if anyone can remember what the Book was. My initial thought was Heinlein and then Asimov, but I have not been able to pinpoint the Story, yet!

Your help please.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - your description reminded me of the start of 2001 A Space Oddessey, were one of the pre-humans smashes up a wilderbeast (or similar quadriped) with a huge bone...then the bone magnificently transmutates into a spaceship.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...I suppose hunger sharpens the minds of all living creatures.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Heinlein wrote a story where two protagonists fought for their respective species.

Star trek used the same thing in an episode Kirk v Lizard man (I think that episode was called the arena.

Plagiarism, aren't most stories based on one of Shakespeare's tales? I seem to recognise one of his plays in most films I tend to watch nowadays (apart from Titanic) :0)

Like this post  
Kosweigart

Likes # 1

@we eddie--II recall this as an asimov short story about two countries that fought every 4 years. Each sending 100 soldiers into a battlefield arena. Love to know the name. I think it may have been in one of his monthly magazine in the late 80's.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Wasn't the Titanic based on The Tempest Fruit Bat /\0/...?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Thanks Folks, I'm still working on it, on a very occasional basis, as I'd like to find the geneses of the idea

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes