We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The New Forum Format

Quickbeam

Likes # 2

Isn't it about a year since the new and improved forum hit us?

Have we got used to it yet, or have we just accepted it as is?

I've gotten used to it now with no probs. But the biggest initial problem was the insertion of a web link with a name description, that one seemed to baffle us for months!

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I have got used to it and quite like it, but that does not seem to be the case all round because it is a lot quieter since the new format.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

Strawballs

I too have noticed the forums seem to have tailed off in recent times. Whether or not it is the revised forum style or simply that computers as such are no longer things of mystery as they one were- but have joined the ranks of 'Domestic Equipment. items to be used,

I can recall the days when I and my chums built stereo Hi Fi systems - simply because that was the only way to get the results -great chassis with red hot valves- Garrard Turntables and the like - Now- little silver boxes- which if opeend up will reveal a small board and lots of empty space,

When they go wrong nothing for it but to 'Bin Them.

Laptops it seems are going the same way too.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Now that you ask, its a case of like it or lump it. But I still dont like it.

In fact I detest this look, and certain features that make it hard work for me at least. I had a long drawn out discussion on another thread with FE and others about why, which I'm not going to rehash here, but was unable to convince people just how much grief it causes me.

Rather like trying to convince someone else just how much your toothache is bothering you. You can say the words, but they dont really get it.

WTM

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not as good as the old Format in some respects.But as you have to move with the times you have to get used to it.

Almost a year on and quite a lot of newcomers still do not know how to resolve a thread.Probably a few of the old timers as well.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Pretty happy with it overall, but think the old 'click here' was a much simpler way of posting a link than the current convoluted method.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Sheesh ! Don't do that Quickbeam, I thought I was going to have to learn a new layout - again!

I miss the e-mail facility - I only used it a couple of times when I wanted to send some info that was too personal or too long for a forum post.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

I feel same way as WTM. I liked the simplicity of the 'old' style, but having said that in comparison to some other forums this one is still simple. At least we don't have the horrible quote and re-quote of the previous posts in every reply and avatars and signatures jumping about flashing etc.etc. (urrgggh-shudder)

I would like the PM email yellow envelope facility back even though I only used it a handful of times.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 1

I like the new forum, it is still has a lot of niggles that need ironing out. It is quieter that's for sure, but I don't think that is because of the new forum layout! It has become a harsher more antagonistic place, with certain members attempting to dominate the forum whilst others attempt to trivialise every thread.

I must say I read more than I post these days, life's to short for all the petty squabbling!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Maybe I am one of the ones who tend to dominate the forum. If so "sorry" but I put it down to having more time on my hands than others. I know some of you have jobs to do etc.

Looks like me and AitchBEE are just looking for something unusual to talk about, but for some reason, I don't want to be in the same category as AitchBEE.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Flak999

I agree to a degree, the arguments are just part of the debate and are far less nasty than other forums. What really frustrates me are the inane off topic posts, made to virtually every discussion that add nothing - that makes the forum more like a social networking site than what it is supposed to be.

I am not refering to harmless, often funny banter between some posters.

In respect of the actual forum, i think it is a better layout than the old but some bugs have never been sorted, chiefly when clicking on the last post time and getting a page only containing the original post.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded