We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transparency or Intrusion

daz60

Likes # 0

This article suggests that every individuals tax status and returns should be publicly available for scrutiny, is this a desirable policy or a reaction to CEO's payment schemes or an attempt to prevent tax avoidance.

Would you favour a policy of openness or do you feel that what you earn is a private matter between yourself and your employer/accountant.

public or private

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's not in the public interest what we earn unless we're hugely powerful captains of industry, banking etc.

What would be the point of trawling through countless webpages of info to know how much Mr Suburbiansemi next door earns other than extremely invasive nosey parkerism?

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

I find it amazing that someone would knowingly wish to divulge their tax status in the expectation that somehow they would not be open to some form of criticism. Frankly the idea that a politician believes that 'honesty is the best policy' is risible,it goes against tradition as any honest history would show.

I think she is playing devils advocate and yes every one wishes to "minimise their tax bill" but those on PAYE are not subject to such possibilities.Tax avoidance is a known issue that could easily be resolved by closing the loopholes in the legislation that allows accountants to play 'fast and easy' with the law.

An ill thought knee jerk reaction by the so called Mayoral candidates is no proper means by which to formulate policy.

I had thought that the Conservatives where about less government interference but i guess that there is no such thing called Conservative any more.

"nosey parkerism"...

well Pandora's Box,otherwise known as the expenses scandal,has led them to consider the value of equality,ie the public right to know what they earn and now they say the public should have the right to know what everyone earns.

The politics of envy as public policy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......