We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

All at sea in the Boat Race

TopCat®

Likes # 0

This year saw the most unusual twists to a race in history. First event was that stupid guy swimming directly into the path of the college boats causing the race to be stopped. Then, following another start at the half way point on troubled waters stirred up by the support boats, after many warnings from the umpire the Oxford cox finally sailed in too close and their boat finished up with a broken oar. The umpire had no other choice than to ignore protests from Oxford and he let the race continue, which Cambridge won of course.

Just after the start of the race the umpire began calling many times to the Oxford cox to steer clear but the cox chose, I think, to ignore him, so finally suffered the consequences.

The Oxford bow man collapsed after the race and was taken away for medical treatment. Very glad to say he is recovering well at the last report.

As for the swimmer, I can't help thinking he and maybe others were involved in a betting scam of some sort. What would you think on this? TC.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Perhaps he was going to the pub on the other side of the river. I didn't even know it was the boat race today, he might have missed all the usual hype too.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The swimmer, it has been reported, was protesting about something.

He might have missed the hype but not the thousands of people lining the route or all the police.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

This is his statement

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The person who did the protest swim, does have a point.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you are a plumber can you ‘store up’ a problem in the office of a conservative think tank office you have been called to?

What a daft question. Thought that was the norm....... ;)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"The person who did the protest swim, does have a point."

No he doesn't.

Apart from ruining an opportunity which the crews have seated blood over, an opportunity which some of them, at least, will never get again, he ruined a free spectacle enjoyed by millions of people.

Some families will have been saving for, and looking forward to, this outing for a long time.

Public order offence? He should be done for theft (of what would have been a happy memory).

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Well, I read his statement and at first I agreed with some of his pronouncements, but he lost all credibility with me when I read his ludicrous 'call to arms' list at the end.

What he is inviting people to do, in my estimation, is for them to go out of their way to make life more difficult for everyone and not just the elite. I'm afraid it is far too late for such measures to have more than a nuisance value in the capitalistic world of today. Just my opinion of course. TC.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

morddwyd "No he doesn't."

Yes he does!

He was performing an act of protest, which entailed no risk to anyone, to publicise his grievance. You may disagree with his views, but not his right to protest.

In this country are we not allowed to have a peaceful protest any more?

ps How I would love to be in court to hear the proceedings of "Theft of my happy memory" !!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

badgery

He was performing an act of protest, which entailed no risk to anyone

Are you sure about that?

He risked his life by swimming between the boats, he could easily have drowned if hit by an oar.

He risked the lives of the boat crews, they could have collided and sunk.

To my mind he's no different to the idiot who chained himself to the goalpost during the Everton / Man City match earlier in the year. He's made a gesture, but it was fool hardy and will lead a court case which we'll all have to pay for. I hope he isn't saddled with a lawyer who went to a public school and an elite university. Maybe he can be found a lawyer who studied at Open University...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

alan14 - the idiot comedian who recently swam for charity, in a polluted river, and got sick (swallowing river water), but continued on his 'publicity stunt' (Walliams), is now raking in the money as a 'Judge' on a TV talent contest.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...