We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sky News Admit Hacking

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Sky news has admitted hacking e-mails, and quotes poblic interest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17628600

Although it's not in the link, according to the BBC News last night evidence obtained in this way had been used in the case to help secure a conviction.

Regardless of Sky News action (though one wonders why they have not been prosecuted for this illegal act), when did UK courts start admitting evidence which has been obtained by illegal means, or evidence which was led to by illegal means?

Why do the police bother to obtain search warrants, and how long before, when a warrant is refused, police ask a friendly "investigative" journalist to do the job for them?

Public interest or not, at the moment illegally obtained evidence, and even some legally obtained evidence, such as wire taps, is not permitted, so is this another instance of News International being cosied up to?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

I did not know that.

I stand corrected.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

"As I understand your statement, what you are suggesting is that a Judge may ignore Statute and apply a ruling considered suitable by the Court."

That's not quite what I said, although I can see why you might think it was.

A judge sitting in a jury trial may admit evidence which was improperly obtained if, in his or her opinion its significance should be determined not so much by its apparent unlawfulness or irregularity, as by its effect, taken as a whole, upon the fairness or unfairness of the proceedings.

There is legal precedent, as I stated earlier, in the case of R v V Sang (1980)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures