We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Big brother is going to watch us online

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

if the government has its way.

"The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon". according to the BBC

Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said any legislation requiring communications providers to keep records of contact would need "strong safeguards on access", and "a careful balance" would have to be struck "between investigative powers and the right to privacy.

To which most of us cynics would say 'Oh yeah?'

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I think it's been happening for a long time now. Probably since the sixties or even prior to that. So I am no more worried about it now, than I was last week.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Given that other countries have been doing this type of thing for years, it is hardly surprising that it has now ended up here.

I would rather it be done openly rather than in a clandestine manner; at least you are aware that key words/sites are being monitored and have the opportunity to consider your actions. There is also the position that if you have nothing to be concerned about or to hide then it is unlikely to affect you.

Being concerned about a loss of Democracy or the Big Brother State in the current climate is a little naive as with the many threats of terrorism and organised crime the security services will be monitoring in an attempt to forestall any action and gain intelligence on their subjects anyway - it is after all their function.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

"We are the most spied on nation in the world"

I suggest that you reconsider that remark, and do a little research. Take a trip to China, perhaps, and see how rapidly you change your mind. Or you could try Iran, or North Korea,a day or two in either country would soon make you realise how lucky we are to be living in a country like ours.

One of the weird things about lots of British citizens is the way they seem to think that we're an oppressed nation, suffering untold miseries at the hands of domineering officials and corrupt law enforcement agencies. I have the odd moan about aspects of our society, but I've seen my share of the big wide world, and - trust me - we don't know we're born, compared to the way some countries' governments treat their citizens.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think that for years NSA has monitored our phones and GCHQ has monitored US phones - in each case to do so in their own country was dubious legally. Then they just swapped information.With terrorists becoming more IT savvy, I suppose more surveillance is inevitable.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I no longer care what the government propose,if they wish to eavesdrop on my phonecalls I hope the official has had a hefty injection of amphetamines to keep them awake,if they wish to scan my emails they'd have to actually find them as I rarely communicate with anyone,& if they want to check up on my surfing habits,fine...PCA is the only site I visit these days.I cannot be bothered to protest about GB becoming a nanny state,and my voice carries no weight anyway.I haven't any need to shred my rubbish to stop someone stealing my identity,as if they did,good luck to them & I hope they have better luck as me than I ever had.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

its freedom v security how far do we go with the extreemist terror threat this may help but at a cost of our privacy

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

Is this England anymore?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

fourm member

.. a general loss of freedom?

You still have the freedom to send any e-mails you wish, visit any site, send any text or make any 'phone call. You have no loss of freedom, but, perhaps, if your interests are less than legal, you are more likely to have a visit from a security organisation.

In actual fact, a member of society who acts and lives within the law has little, if anything, to be concerned about. Yes, there will be open scanning of communications for key words and site visits for those recognised as likely to be used by persons wishing to break the law or bring harm to others. If you use such a word or visit such a site it may be logged and checked, but an isolated incident of an innocent nature is not likely to further infringe your liberty of cause your door to be broken down.

Hysteria will not make this country more secure or the population safer. Only good intelligence obtained by our security services will do that and the proposed methods are one of the less intrusive options available. Start worrying when you are required to have identity papers with you at all times, are told where to live, the job to do and require permission to own a telephone, computer or other device capable of communication.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

johndrew

"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"

Is that what you are saying? That is the old secret policeman's excuse to allow them access to your most private and personal data. Here is a link to an interesting article on the subject debunking a myth if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear! this sort of thing might have been de rigueur for members of the Gestapo or Beria's NKVD but it is not a situation I personally wish to see become the norm in the UK.

Our Grandfathers fought a war 60 odd years ago to protect us from this sort of thing!

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

johndrew.

I used to think as you do. As did FE.

Times change, so do attitudes. Maybe perspective comes with years, maybe not. But I fear for where my country is going.

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made