We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Big brother is going to watch us online

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

if the government has its way.

"The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon". according to the BBC

Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said any legislation requiring communications providers to keep records of contact would need "strong safeguards on access", and "a careful balance" would have to be struck "between investigative powers and the right to privacy.

To which most of us cynics would say 'Oh yeah?'

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I have very serious reservations, nay fears, about such an action. As has been pointed out, it will only catch the clowns, not the truly clever ones.

I have to confess though that some time back I was firmly in the If you've nothing to hide then you've nothing to fear camp. But you know what? I've changed my mind. Rather strongly as it happens. I still have nothing to hide. But I do value my privacy. To use an analogy, its like closing the door when you use a public lavatory. There's nothing untoward going on, but you prefer to do what you have to do without the world looking on.

I really, genuinely fear that we are heading incrementally towards a police state. And an incompetant one at that. One that penalises the ordinary person, but rewards the venal, corrupt and morally deficient overseeers. We already have a civil service with a shockingly cavalier attitude to our personal data. Add to that this intention to harvest even more of our lives and the fears become ever closer to reality.

Remember: the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

WTM

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I very much doubt that this is as bad as reported."

Having watched the BBC News this evening, it is every bit as bad as has been reported.

At the very least we should have the same protection as search warrants, with authority from a JP or similar.

Other than means of transmission, what is the difference between mail and email? Would anyone agree with letters being opened?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Mordwydd

From the BBC article "A new law - which may be announced in the forthcoming Queen's Speech in May - would not allow GCHQ to access the content of emails, calls or messages without a warrant"

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...because Glaswegians speak so quickly and unintelligably to 'outsiders', First Minister of Scotland, Alex Salmond, today confirmed, that Glasgow folk will be taxed if they utter more than ten words a second. (ref. Daily Record).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

".....would not allow GCHQ to access the content of emails, calls or messages without a warrant"

That's the kind of statement that worries me. Five or six years ago I wouldn't have worried when I heard about something like this, but now I find myself sharing WhiteTruckMan's concerns about a society that seems to be heading steadfastly down the road to State control of almost every aspect of our lives. If it's not taxed, it soon will be, and if it's not yet subject to surveillance of some kind it's not worth doing.

I drive around London being tracked and watched almost all of the time. My credit card use ensures that my purchasing habits are widely known, and my mobile phone can be used to show where I was at any given time.

I have to worry about my online security, and about people sneaking into my driveway at night to rifle through my rubbish bin in the search for stuff that could help them to steal my identity. My medical records are stored on a database that I know is less secure than my garden shed.

Now I'm told that my government plans to give itself powers to allow civil servants to monitor my phone calls, text messages,emails, and browsing habits. it's all being done in the interests of national security - that huge grey area which encompasses almost anything they want it to on the day. I'm going to be assured that my privacy will be inviolable, but I know that's so much waffle - my privacy could be compromised by Fred at GCHQ any day of the week, and if not me it will happen to someone else - probably lots of someones. I'm heartily sick of being told that I have nothing to worry about when I know for sure that I have every reason to be worried - my private communications are potentially going to be a whole lot less than private,come this new legislation,and I don't like it one little bit.

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

time to call in the wombles from wimbledom common

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well they won't find much from looking at my email asides gross tedium for the day...

It's interesting to note that the opinions from some of you has changed over the years regarding the the nothing to fear if there's nothing to hide argument, I liken this very closely to the DNA database topic that crops up regularly, too much ready personal info off the shelve without using traditional investigative methods, can lead to hasty and ill thought out actions by over zealous enforcement officers.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

"A warrant" they say..rubber stamped by an Home Office that cannot even defend our 'Home',the country,from every two bit 'criminal' or 'terrorist' that wishes to make this his/her home.

The war on terror has been a justification for the State and its spokesperson,the GOV,to interfere in all aspects of our lives.

G Orwell must be laughing in his grave that the "British" public can give away scot free, no pun intended, what the dictators had to get via force of arms and fear.

R.I.P Democracy

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

This country is getting worse every day, we have CCTV cameras that are intruding on every day life that have very little effect on crime but are great for catching drivers who use bus lanes, laws to combat terrorism that are so badly thought out that councils can use them to spy on people putting rubbish out. People have been stopped from using cameras in public on the grounds of fighting terrorism.

We are the most spied on nation in the world and we just sit back and accept it, I don't have any thing to hide but I do expect to have some privacy in my life.

All I hear from politicions is that we need these new laws to win the fight against terrorism, I'm sorry to have to say this but we have lost the fight if we have to give up the freedom we had.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

carver

Your final paragraph sums up the concerns I have. We need strong terrorism laws because we are a very real target but getting the balance is essential in keeping the public on board.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data