We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Big brother is going to watch us online

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

if the government has its way.

"The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon". according to the BBC

Lib Dem home affairs spokesman Chris Huhne said any legislation requiring communications providers to keep records of contact would need "strong safeguards on access", and "a careful balance" would have to be struck "between investigative powers and the right to privacy.

To which most of us cynics would say 'Oh yeah?'

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

And it's a very short step from monitoring to censoring and/or taxing!

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

... and I just thought it was 1st April!

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

This is getting silly - Pure paranoia - Exactly who is going to organise this & who is going to pay? A expensive solution looking for a problem.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

And why should this came as a surprise to anyone? There has been a facility just outside Oswestry in Shropshire that has been able to monitor all phone calls made in the UK and this has been there for at least 15 years. Of course few people actually know what this building does as it just used to appear as a BT building.

No doubt any e-mail type checking would involve the same process of using "key words" to highlight whatever they might be looking for.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

and as soon as I know what the keywords are I will make sure my e mails are sprinkled liberally with them, however nonsensical it makes them. As it is taxpayers who will be paying for all this, may as well give the civil service some work to do. (I realise that machinery will be looking for the keywords, but when it flags them up someone will have to read it).

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Kidsis

This type of interception has been going on at least since the mid nineties and was given the name Echelon, there is loads about it on the web.

You would join a cast of countless many if you deliberately sprinkled emails and conversations with supposed keywords. This from the Register is years old The Register

If anyone wants to read my emails or listen to my phonecalls they are going to be very bored.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Wonder if we will see UK reports similar to the UK couple that got arrested and deported from USA over a tweet or then again it is April 1st.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I very much doubt that this is as bad as reported. The monitoring of every e-mail and every website is of no great interest however if you monitor suspect sites or suspect terrorists then you can identify patterns which can be of great interest. The critical bit in the report is "But it would enable intelligence officers to identify who an individual or group is in contact with, how often and for how long. They would also be able to see which websites someone had visited." Sudden changes in behaviour can be just as interesting.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

bremner

"This type of interception has been going on at least since the mid nineties and was given the name Echelon,"

Echelon is concerned with satellite traffic, and is a joint venture between America, the UK, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. There are ground stations here that are rumoured to handle Echelon data, but it's mainly a question of conjecture.

The new legislation would be UK-specific, and nothing to do with Echelon.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

My response was specifically in relation to kidsis mentioning keywords and how Echelon used keywords to monitor email, fax, radio and telephone communication thereby emphasising that monitoring communication by keywords is nothing new.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more