We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The good, the bad and the ugly

Earthsea
Resolved

Likes # 0

Good - Aung San Suu Kyi, for her fight for democracy in Burma

Bad - President Ahmadinejad, because of his nuclear program

Ugly - Kim Jong-un, because he's a nutcase like his dad

Who are your choices? Doesn't have to be political.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

fourm member. That's one of the reasons I am concerned. Retaliation is the word.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"Rant over, I'll get me coat".

I understand where you are coming from and agree many of your points, but I really don't want to get back into the mindset of the early 1960's. It was no fun being told my life expectancy was 20 minutes and it is the last thing I want for future generations.

Whether the knowledge that mutual destruction was guaranteed if the button was pressed saved it from happening I'm unsure. There were certainly many who wanted it pressed and may well have done so if they had been in a position to do so. It would appear there are still a large number who are willing to put lives at risk (providing it is not their own) and this is breeding a 'first strike' mentality in others - demonstrable in specific cases.

As for equipment support for the armed forces, they could do with more modern facilities but it will mean getting rid of the army of chair soldiers in MoD who are unable to provide what is necessary at the right price. One day they will learn that each time they add a 'wouldn't it be nice if ..' to a contract it bumps up the price considerably and reduces what can be afforded; hence less new/better equipment.

Like this post
Earthsea

Likes # 0

I remember that highly useful Protect & Survive stuff made by the (recently defunct) Central Office of Information when I was a kid. Can't remember if I saw any of the films at the time, but I did see a leaflet and it terrified me.

It didn't help when I went shopping with my mum either, because of all those rabies posters everywhere. I thought if a nuclear blast didn't kill me, a rabid dog would.

Ah, such happy childhood memories...

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/films/1964to1979/filmpage_warnings.htm

Like this post
userious?

Likes # 0

The ugly...Ed Miliband surely.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Actually, I wouldn't mind if we stopped naming people as 'ugly'.

It achieves nothing, and we're not in business to label people like this.

I can hear the cries of 'spoilsport' already, but I'm sticking to my guns. I know you didn't mean any offence, Earthsea, so please don't take this personally because it's not meant that way.

By all means let's discuss people who have done good things, and people who have done exactly the opposite, but leave the ugly word out of it please.

Like this post
Earthsea

Likes # 0

Yes, I didn't mean it in the literal sense, but this thread left the brief ages ago so I thought it didn't matter.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. Does that mean I can no longer mention that Brumas is ugly? Is it o.k. to mention that he looks like a rabid bulldog chewing a wasp?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Well, you've been abusing him in a similar manner for years, so why stop now?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I didn't mean it in the literal sense"

I know that, as I pointed out in my earlier post. The fact is, there are those who may take it literally, and my comments were intended for them.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Forum Editor, you can go off people you know ;o{

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK