We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bread Cavitation Problem - Any Bakers With Ideas?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Lately I've been using our breadmaker for fresh baked bread in the mornings. However I've been having problems with large bubbles that form just under the crust, which then collapse leaving this to greet me in the mornings. The bread itself is light and tasty enough, but its still annoying. Any ideas what might be the problem? Too much yeast or sugar? Or not enough mixing? Or should I look for some sort of cooking forum instead?

WTM

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

WTM,

Being a former flour miller it sounds like you are suffering from a problem commonly known as flying top crust.

This can be caused by some of the following reasons.

Dough is too tight Too short of proving period Over treatment with improvers.

If you have recently started using a new bag of flour it could be a problem with that caused by wrong settings on the Ascorbic Acid addition or it could be down to the Alpha Amylase activity in the flour.

This is a natural occurring constituent in the product but it can be altered by powder addition by the miller.

What type of flour are you currently using?

I would expect our forum poster BT will add a comment to this thread in the near future as he to worked in the flour milling industry and will give you a fuller explanation as he worked in QA within the milling industry.

Regards, Al.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well with two millers and a trade baker (me), why would you want to use any other forum WTM!

Check this site out to identify your exact fault. Don't worry too much about the ingredients or recipe that your using, if it's worked in the past, it'll work again when the root cause of any fault is identified.

I would say almost certainly the fault has occurred because of the rapid climatic temperature changes we've been experiencing lately. Even small craft bakers will have faults in their bread if they're caught on the hop until the seasonal change is allowed for. Just wait until next weeks Arctic blast and note the variance in traditional loaves at the bakers.

Like this post
J B

Likes # 0

From the photo you took it looks like the loaf looks rather wet in the middle. I don't know what settings that you have set but it appears that the dough hasn't had enough time to rise. I bake bread the old fashioned way so I suggest that you use a good quality Strong bread flower along with a good quality yeast. It makes for a good loaf but I have to say that I get a rising crust sometimes. Makes me quite annoyed.

J.B.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I didn't spot the link hidden in your opening post WTM:

It looks like it's risen too fast, due to the warm weather recently, as above. The yeast has worked too fast, causing the crumb to collapse into a dense centre. Is the rest that you eat of a course open texture that stales quickly?

If you're preparing it in the evening to be ready with a timer operation in the morning, don't put the water in until last thing at night, you can use chilled water from the fridge as it will take a good while to become ambient.

Don't question the materials or recipe if they've worked OK before, it's a method variation that's caused it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use a breadmaker and haven't had that snag but have you tried reducing the amount of water by 10 ml and are you removing it from the pan immediately it has finished baking?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I don't bake bread but I've noticed that these days, it is impossible to add butter to toast, without the bread suddenly going razor blade thin in the middle of the slice. It's fine as long as you don't add butter or marmalade to it. Is there a cure for that?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Safety blade bread.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

I find the only ours comes out right is too use the pre-heat setting on every loaf.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

When I was taught to bake Bread, I was told that large holes in it, or a split crust, suggested that it had been proved, either, in too warm surroundings, or possibly for too long.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Yeast too active? - reduce salt slightly?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......