We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spell Checker

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

When I use ieSpell to correct mistakes here. I have noticed that sometimes it corrects the mistake in this window but not in the window below. However if I then delete the wrongly spelled word and retype it then it is o.k. But why doesn't it alter the spelling in both windows?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Methinks, perhaps the computer code is not up to scratch, and needs a (Bingalau error - update), to rectify the matter.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I use the spell checker on everything I type and very seldom find a spelling mistake. That's because I don't like to spell words wrongly and so double check. I am sometimes surprised to find that my finger has missed a character somewhere or even missedaspace which once spotted is easily rectified and then I know I am not going to appear as a fool. (My grammar is probably an entirely different matter). But I go on the assumption that if it is readable to me then it must be readable to all and sundry.

I do wish other people would check their spelling though, especially when it concerns the subject heading. May I suggest slowing down and reading through anything typed before hitting that "Post" button.

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

Bingalau

I gave up using IeSpell and moved to Speckie. It works fine on both the 32 & 64 bit versions of IE9 with windows 7. Available here Speckie

TonyV

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

TonyV

Following your tip I have installed Speckie - but when I delberately mistyped a word - nothing happened. How do you use it here?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Now seems to work and I have installed the Great Britain version of English.Thanks again. Bingalau Sorry to barge in!! I have been guilty of hasty posts in the past - especially on Friday nights if posting to Brumas

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

john bunyan Bee mi gest ;o}

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Brumas

Bees are on anuvver fred. PS the spell checker did point my errors out! It would allow your famous Frayed Knot!!

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

john bunyan

You have obviously set it up now. Good. Just as a matter of interest, I have set mine up to highlight the misspelt words and then they are readily visible. Go into Tools on the far RHS of IE9 and click on Speckie settings. You can change a number of things there.

Cheers

TonyV

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The spell checker built into Chrome works fine on this site

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

TonyV

Thanks again; all ok now, including uk dictionary. VMT JB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite