We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange e-mail

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

About six years ago I used to be able to listen to a radio station called Pandora. Then it sent me an e-mail to say it was no longer able to broadcast to the U.K. and I have never heard from them since. Now I suddenly get another e-mail out of the blue from them with the following address....

http://www.pandora.com/restricted

Does anybody know if anything is happening to this radio station? I get the feeling that something may be happening to the rules.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Makes you wonder why you got an email 'out the blue' after so long.

It seems you are still out of luck - no change at the moment, if you go to their Facebook fan page and click on the link for website it redirects you to a message to say you are restricted "Dear Pandora Visitor, We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative. We believe that you are in United Kingdom... "

the page has the same address as your link pandora.com/restricted

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

lotvic. Thanks for reply, yes I have read that blurb which was connected to the mail I received. But can't understand why they have sent me the mail. Unless they are opening another Pandora's box of worms.

Like this post  
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I used to use Pandora too and found it a useful tool that could be 'programmed' to play my kind of music. Shame it discontinued here. Your post reminded me about it and I've just found this

I think I'll give it a try and see how it compares

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Just thinking out loud, but could I just use a proxy server, or somesuch, to still access Pandora from the UK, is the onus on the provider to check location, or the user to declare it, or is that just illegal? I guess that it might be, so probably a bad idea.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I used to listen to Pandora more than any other music station(including FM broadcasts)& was miffed when I couldnt listen in the UK any longer,so tried spoofing my IP in an attempt to continue.I was always unsuccessful & vaguely remember the Pandora page refusing to load through the spoofing software(as it was a long time back)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I got an email of them last week.

I think they've accidentally added all foreign listeners back into their email database, because this is the first contact for a good few years

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Just in case you're interested, I've been dabbling with the Sony version, as I said I would, and as far as I remember it seems very similar to Pandora. You register (Free), choose an artist, song or genre and it tries to gear your 'station' around that style of music. I'm actually quite enjoying it and it's not bad at all.

A bonus for me, is they have a smart phone app too, and I'm planning on routing that through my car radio.

Not bad at all, here's the link again

Sony WE7

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...