We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sporting sponsorships

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Chelsea are sponsored by Samsung, and were once by Commodore and again by Amiga. Man Utd were once by Sharp, and recently got some money from Epson.

What other sporting sponsorships by tech companies can you remember?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

JVC sponsored Liverpool, I think it was back in the days when Graham Souness was playing for them. (but as I am an Everton fan I am not sure). I know my brother bought a JVC Video recorder from Graham Souness, because he could get them cheaper. I lent my brother the money and am still waiting to get it repaid. But as my brother died a few years back it looks like I have had it. Incidentally that recorder was about £500.00....

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Before sponsoring Wimbledon Elonex computers sponsored Southend Football club.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Hitachi sponsored Liverpool 1979-82, but not JVC. But I did miss that one...

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Simon. You are probably correct as my memory is sadly lacking these days.

I do know that at present Everton are sponsored by "Chang" Beers. I think they would have been better being sponsored by their local Brewery "Cains". If you can get it in your local supermarket try their "Double Bock", very strong and tastes marvellous too.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Olivetti sponsored Formula One Racing back in the 80's

Surely the most famous F1 car must be the JPS Lotus

but of course we can't advertise smoking anymore

;0)

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

I don't think the JPS Lotus referred to the IBM Lotus 123 spreadsheet, though...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That was even more tenuous than my cheeky Tetley's link:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow