We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sporting sponsorships

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

Chelsea are sponsored by Samsung, and were once by Commodore and again by Amiga. Man Utd were once by Sharp, and recently got some money from Epson.

What other sporting sponsorships by tech companies can you remember?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

HP have sponsored Indycar, American Football and were associated with the Ryder Cup.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

If I remember correctly for many years now the big two in Glasgow have been sponsored by brewers, firstly MCEwans and now Tennants. I have no real idea why both sign with the same sponsor

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Acer, Samsung and Panasonic are London Olympics sponsors.

Canon, Orange and Sharp are sponsors for the European Football Championship Finals this summer.

IBM is sponsoring this years Masters (Golf) starting next week.

Orange sponsored the recent African Cup of Nations (Football)

Sony are one of the sponsors for the 2014 Football World Cup

Like this post  
Proclaimer

Likes # 0

I have no real idea why both sign with the same sponsor

They both sign the same sponsor because of the rivalry between the two teams. Whether that is to discourage one set of fans boycotting or otherwise causing mischief to the other sponsors product/company I do not know. But I suspect it makes economic sense to the sponsor to sponsor both and I suspect that it avoids trouble.

The fans really will not buy from a company if they sponsor the opposition.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Many forum users will be interested in the sponsors of Charlton Athletic 1998-2000.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I didn't realise that so many of the 17,406 average gate at CA were members here.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nice link simonjary...buttons on men's casual tops are now the 'IN' thing...so I've been told.

BT are also a big name in Sport's sponsorship...Hampden Park, in Glasgow is a good example.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Proclaimer

As much as I see the logic behind what you say I can't really believe that people would change their drinking habits because of a football team. They never used to have the same sponsors and the only trouble I ever recall was when Celtic were sponsored by a car dealership who just happened to have a dealership right next door to Ibrox and the green and white flags which the dealership tried to fly didn't go down too well on match days.

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

OK, I took the afternoon off work and ended up digging a bit deeper into tech firms sponsoring football and sport.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow