We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Come Dine With Me

Condom

Likes # 0

Come Dine With Me

If you fancy a lovely meal in the country then "Come dine with me" £5000 will secure you a 4 course meal together with a very nice bottle or two of "House Wine" but unfortunately not "the" House Wine.

£250,000 is of course the premier league and may allow you to talk with me and discuss and perhaps influence my forthcoming plans. Playing at Chequers is not obligatory as many prefer Chess.

Like this post
Earthsea

Likes # 0

It would make more sense if everyone chipped in for a MacDonald's happy meal.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The Conservative Party are in a league of their own regarding party political donations from very rich 'individuals' as seen in this recent BBC chart for 2011 :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17516853

The dinner ladies must workin' non-stop at Downing Street and Checkers.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

It must be like shooting fish in a barrel for the Opposition parties!

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Teh funny side.

link1 link2

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Nothing New here. I am sure this has been going on ever since our parliamentary system was first introduced. No amount of labour indignation will stop them doing the same when they get in next, they just don't have so many very rich donors.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

It certainly cannot be any easier being a politician any more - with ever more sophisticated 'stings' by a media which has become extremely technical in it's subterfuge, mini cameras etc.

Couple this with the way a 'story' can be spread instantly by computer and it makes life very difficult for someone wanting to deceive.

But, as always, it makes you wonder that for every person caught in the act, how many others are doing the same and not getting nabbed?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The Tory party is funded by Business who don't cough up and not expect something in return.

The Labour party is funded by the Unions who don't cough up and not expect something in return.

The Liberal Democrats are funded by coffee mornings and carrot cake and nobody actually expects this to make a difference :0)

Please tell me what is original in this story.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

Can't see what all the fuss is about, much more preferable than the political parties being funded by the taxpayer, you and me...

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Toneman

The downside is that it means we will continue to be ruled by the wealthy, and generally that means the poorest in society get a progressively worse deal - as has been shown by all our recent governments, where the 'divide' between the haves and have-nots has grown and grown.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they just don't have so many very rich donors."

No, but they have millions more donors overall, with virtually every trade union member in the country paying the political levy, as very few take the trouble to opt out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia