We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Come Dine With Me

Condom

Likes # 0

Come Dine With Me

If you fancy a lovely meal in the country then "Come dine with me" £5000 will secure you a 4 course meal together with a very nice bottle or two of "House Wine" but unfortunately not "the" House Wine.

£250,000 is of course the premier league and may allow you to talk with me and discuss and perhaps influence my forthcoming plans. Playing at Chequers is not obligatory as many prefer Chess.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"if the employers agreed to double pay and do nothing about safety."

Well that scenario did happen after the 2000 fuel protests were over. The fuel drivers were quite happy to greatly exceed the legal daily and weekly working limits with government approval to quickly resupply the country, and accepted a huge bonus in their pay for that month to do so!

Wanting jam on both sides and having your cake and eating it springs to mind...

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"If a union member does not wish to support the Labour party, why does he not opt out? "

Because, like me, a lifetime Tory, they can't be bothered.

Blinkered, reprehensible, undemocratic, lazy, uncaring?

Yes, all of these and more, but it is the attitude, or lack of it, of many, I venture to say the vast majority, of union members.

"it won't last many weeks before the ghost of strikes past (aka Scargill), will be haunting their minds."

And so it should, for everything that the much reviled Scargill (who I despised) warned about has come to pass.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Is Scargill still alive,I've heard nothing of this man in many years?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

King Arthur is still about and kicking. He's recently had a court case against his own union that didn't go all his own way, although he did walk away with a tidy sum from the union that he singlehandedly decimated in the name of workers rights.

Without him the coal industry would have wound down over a 20 year period, with him, he achieved that, also singlehandedly, in a year...

He never quite grasped the fact that from the first shovelful of coal out of a new pit, it was one shovelful nearer to it's exhaustion and ultimate closure.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

fourm member

"The simple truth is that a significant proportion of union members who pay the political levy do not vote Labour." You have supported this with the single case of morddyd who, by his own account, has more money than sense. If you do not have access to details of voters union status, opt-out status and party for which they voted, then your assertion is invalid. And since the money comes from individuals there is no justification whatever in treating thesituation as though the unions are money making concerns and the donations are from the executive, in the way that public companies donate to the Tory party without giving shareholders an opportunity to opt-out. Try abandoning your ingrained prejudice and look at situations logically.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

natdoor

What was your answer to my post of yesterday at 09.28?

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Might one ask are shareholders of companies (that donate to the Tories), all Tory voters/supporters? Pot and kettle spring to mind.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

badgery

I am against donations to the Tories by companies. If they feel they must do so then shareholers should be balloted in some way such that the political donation total should be allocated to parties in proportion to the will expressed by the shareholders. For this purpose I think Pension funds and hedge funds shoul be non voting. I just think folk should opt in to such things, but not in by default. PS I am not a committed voter for any party.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

john bunyan

I agree with your views on this matter.

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

I am most certainly against tax payer funding of any party for any purpose. These people are sloshing about up to their armpits in our money already. History, and more particularly recent history, shows that they can't be trusted with other peoples money, I don't want to give them one penny more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...