We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Come Dine With Me

Condom

Likes # 0

Come Dine With Me

If you fancy a lovely meal in the country then "Come dine with me" £5000 will secure you a 4 course meal together with a very nice bottle or two of "House Wine" but unfortunately not "the" House Wine.

£250,000 is of course the premier league and may allow you to talk with me and discuss and perhaps influence my forthcoming plans. Playing at Chequers is not obligatory as many prefer Chess.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

bremner "You are mistaken "

I think not!

The ballot is a precurser, and is just saying to the Union negotiators "We are prepared to strike if your negotiations make it necessary". A strike has yet to be called or even decided upon!

The ballot is just to obey the law, made by Government.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

At my place of work the ballot was held when the negotiations were deadlocked.

The vote gave the union the legal right to call the strike, which they did.

You were mistaken that it gave the union the right to negotiate not to call a strike. No ballot is required to negotiate.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

bremner "At my place of work ..."

Sadly what happened at your place of work is NOT the issue, here. Unite has NOT yet called a strike - the ballot was only the opportunity for the workers to agree to strike IF one is called - which it hasn't yet been!!

Here is the first sentence from the link YOU posted:-

"All trade union members have the right to be properly balloted before their trade union asks them to take part in industrial action"

How many more times does it take to make that point to you?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Please accept you were mistaken by saying

"I thought that the 'strike ballot' was only a ballot to fulfil the government's legislation and give the Union it's power to negotiate not a call to actually strike."

Negoiation is not industrial ACTION, Unions neogiate with employers everyday of the week without a ballot.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

bremner

I do not believe I was mistaken.

The ballot is simply saying the workers are prepared to strike - IF a strike were to be called by the leadership. The ballot is not demanding a strike.

No strike has yet been called - has it?? Yet the ballot has been taken, so why (if you are right) has the strike not been called?

Read your own link again, I suggest.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

he isn't seen to criticise a major contributor to the party coffers.

In much the same way News International operated?

Like this post
Jameslayer

Likes # 0

I understand what badgery is saying. And he makes complete sense. Just because the union has voted and the members have said they are willing to strike. It does not meen the union will call a strike. Its a way of showing the company their members feel strongly about the issue and are willing to go on strike if a agreament cant be reached.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Jameslayer Thanks.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

badgery

I agree totally with what you said at 10.18 but it is not what you originally said, or it was not how what you originally said came across. That of course is often the issue with debating on a forum.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

badgery

I do wish you wouldn't make assumptions about what people have said. I said that Unite had announced that tanker drivers have voted in favour of strike action, and they have. Your comment that "I thought that the 'strike ballot' was only a ballot to fulfil the government's legislation and give the Union it's power to negotiate not a call to actually strike." was incorrect, and I just wish you would accept that, and move on, rather than trying to wriggle out of it.

A Union doesn't need to ballot its members in order to negotiate on their behalf. It does need a mandate to call a strike however, and that was the purpose of the recent ballot. The members voted in favour of strike action, as I said, so the Union is mandated to call a strike. As yet, no date for strike action has been set, and I didn't say otherwise.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014