We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have you lived in Thailand?

rickf

Likes # 0

My son has settled there and has been wanting me to join him. Sent me lots of brochures of houses for sale in Pattaya where he has a house w*th his wife and child. Have you had experience of living there. Do tell. Maybe a possibility for me in a couple of years and retiring there. I know that the one thing I would find difficult is the heat but what is it like socially, culturally, politically etc, etc.,?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Spuds

Thailand like many countries throughout the world does have restrictions on the unauthorised export and import of its currency and why not. If I remember correctly the sums we are talking about are not the sums the normal person would carry on their person so it shouldn't be a problem for tourists. If you want to transfer large sums it is best to do it through a Bank and you get better exchange rates for larger sums. Thai Banks are very good and you can deposit money in a machine and transfer it to any other account in seconds.

My best friend was killed in a car crash up north 2 years ago and a Thai cremation is something else but it still seems to do the business. My friends wife brought some of his ashes back to Guernsey this year for his family and then came to stay with me for a few days before returning home. Considering she was 8 months pregnant when he was killed she has done extremely well.

If you are considering Health Insurance, and why not, I repeat that is is better to get this when you arrive in Thailand. It is much cheaper than getting it from the UK (I only have experience of BUPA but I'm told it is the same with all the big names). My Thai cover also covered me privately when I returned to the UK for a few weeks which was a bonus I didn't need to use.

With regards the US dollar, I wouldn't say that it was in any more demand than any other currency. Thai's will take any currency but are not crazy about plastic as they want to add 5% if you use a card. It is still very much a cash society.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"It is still very much a cash society."

That surprises me - I use a credit card almost exclusively when I'm there.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FE, that does no surprise me as you are, very much, a visitor to the country. Staying in Hotels, dining in restaurants etc.

However, if you were living there, shopping in the market, getting your hair cut, buying a couple of bottles of the local infuriator, you would probably find a very different country. One where the credit Card is only brought out on occasions where more cash would be needed that one could normally be expected to carry.

The same thing here, one mostly pays the Restaurant Bills with ones Card, but use Cash for your copy of PCA and a pint in the Pub.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wee eddie

I take the point - I do stay in hotels,and I do eat in restaurants. Obviously I wouldn't pay for a cab with a card, or a newspaper, but Thailand is no different in that respect to any other country I've been to. Cash transactions are the norm for small items all over the world.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

A cash society always as the advantage of a bargaining power. Many a time on my previous extensive travelling experiences, it was the root of a good haggle or getting into places that was normally totally restricted. I recall using a Barclaycard when they first came out, and an investigation had to be conducted, as to whether it was acceptable in Colombia, so that I could pay an hotel bill. I fully realise that the finance market as moved on, but there still might be a time, when that bit of plastic doesn't work. Like a short time ago, when I and a number of other shopper's tried to make purchase's in a well known UK store, but could not, due to the 'computers being down'.

I and my colleagues always use to carrying a wad of $US dollars, which were acceptable in most countries that I visited, some more so than others, especially where the £Sterling was very much rejected, and perhaps not understood. Never ever had a $US note refused, and that was even by a taxi driver in some wayward airport or similar location.

I recall on at least one occasion, when UK Sterling traveller cheques were unacceptable at a bank, due to constant changes in exchange rates, when the $Pound seemed to suffer the most. On that occasion, I had to have a 'loan' from the bank, so as to meet my daily needs.

Funny old thing about money, that effects the whole world over, and how the 'locals' deal with the issues of finance and perhaps cash in hand?.

But all this seems to be going slightly off subject of living and perhaps retiring in Thailand!.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

$Pound, should have been £Pound.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Weighing up the situation from the comments,especially Condom's very informative contribution from first hand experience and my own research into the subject I shall definitely be renting if and when I go. Its a first principle that you do not under any circumstances buy property in someone else's name. The future of relationships is always unpredictable. Will definitely be going there for a few holidays to experience it for myself before any decision. Condom, thanks for your offer to chat if needs be. May well take this up in time when the situation is clearer. Many thanks again to all those who have contributed.

Like this post
Matt Bell

Likes # 0

Actually my favorite place that I lived was in Thailand. Two story house in the country, rice field on one side and a beautiful view of a mountain out the front window. Even had a bit of a yard. I loved my time there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...