We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you fully read your car insurers' terms and conditions?

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

More than ever it pays to fully read the smallprint, as this article explains: '...over the past year the wording of some insurance polices has potentially excluded anyone driving "under the influence" of alcohol or drugs.

There are concerns that people with a minimal level of alcohol in their blood or who have taken prescription drugs could be caught out....' the story

Interesting to note that the insurer concerned in the story rescinded the clause and said it would not appear in the documents, if insurance was taken from a broker. If bought from the company direct however, then the wording would be included. What's your opinion on this move? TC.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

"What's your opinion on this move? TC"

If true, sounds like sharp practice.

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

It seem a lot of 'sharp practice' is cboyahooreeping into motor insurance to keep the price advertised low.

My recent experience is as follows

My last years insurance was in the region of £300 from Saga[first year] The renewal came in at £420

So the search began

The best price on line appeared to be Prudential at £308

We will have some of that.

When the docs arrived the start date was 12 days out from the old Saga expiry date So I would have an uninsured period- I queried it and they agreed to match up the in and out day - for £10

They then asked for proof of No Claim. SAGA provided the info giving 6years - their max

Thats no good said Pru -so I gave them permission to speak tp SAGA

The Pru give 9 years No claim - but they wanted £35 to do it.

Still well under the Saga renewal - but what a performance

The irony is that I have not had any sort of claim in more than 20 years of over 50 years of driving

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 1

The big mistake everyone makes is the unconscious assumption that insurance companies exist to provide insurance. The truth is that they exist to make money for their owners and/or shareholders. They do this by taking in as much money as they can while giving out as little as possible. Any other activities is just window dressing to help them achieve that aim.

WTM

Like this post  
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

After my most recent accident,I was contacted by my insurer asking why I hadn't notified them of my previous claim.I insisted I had and was told that they'd check the recorded conversation.I haven't heard from them in 3 weeks so hopefully they found it & clearly heard me declare the previous accident.

This latest crash was my 9th & final crash as I'm sick of being used as a crash test dummy by other motorists so am not returning to the roads(none of these crashes have been me at fault,7 were blind idiots running into the back of me & the last 2 were someone pulling out of/turning into a junction directly in my path)Besides,my yearly premium was fully comp £220 two years ago & TPFT was £1500 last october so I refuse to continue paying through the nose to drive a car under 800 miles per year(I only used the car occasionally for shopping trips as fuel was too expensive for longer trips)

I have many times read through the policy from beginning to end,as several years ago I asked specifically for business cover,was quoted an unusually high premium so presumed this was because I was covered for business usage,but when subsequently stopped by a police officer whilst doing deliveries & informed that I had no business cover,taken to court & given 6 points I started reading the policy from end to end,though understanding all the legal gibberish as to what I am/am not covered for is getting increasingly difficult.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs Samsung Galaxy S5 comparison review: Apple takes on Samsung once again in smartphone...

IDG UK Sites

Just another opinion about Apple's new iPhone

IDG UK Sites

Intel Xeon E5 v3 Haswell processors review: we check out the fastest chips on the planet

IDG UK Sites

Apple Watch hands-on review | Apple Watch design, spec, features & UK pricing