We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Misleading PCA review

Al94
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was surprised to read this article http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/apple/3346665/ebay-is-cheapest-place-buy-new-ipad/?cmpid=HTML-DN230312&olo=daily%20news which suggests that eBay themselves are selling iPads.

As far as I am aware, eBuyer Outlet who are selling the items on eBay are not connected with eBay at all.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Who needs a Press Complaints Commission with such swift correcting action as this?

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

Done. Would have done it earlier but the clocks went forward!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Same as Amazon who are an outlet for loads of other suppliers, no?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"....eBay's press team has just got in contact with PC Advisor to let us know that the much sought after tablet is selling £20 cheaper on eBay site than all of its competitors."

What's misleading about that?

Ebuyer is one of the largest sellers of electronic goods in the UK - they are simply selling the iPad at this price via their Ebay shop. There's nothing sinister about this.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

eBay is a market place, AFAIK all items are sold by individual sellers and shops.

If you think about it, if you went down to your local market and bought something from one of the stalls then later someone asked you where you got it, you would prob say 'from the market' as opposed to the name of the individual stall holder.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What's misleading about that?

Read the article carefully -

"eBay has announced that it is selling" - eBuyer is selling, not eBay.

"perhaps the most surprising thing is that eBay isn't charging a thing for postage and packaging" - again, it is not eBay who are selling the item.

"It's not sure the exact quantity of new iPads eBay has avialable at this price" - eBay has none for sale - it is eBuyer.

I am suggesting this is a poorly written misleading review.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

It should read 'selling on eBay' rather than eBay selling.

I sell on eBay and my goods are not being sold by eBay they are selling on eBay by me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I am suggesting this is a poorly written misleading review"

It's not a review, it's a news item.

We were contacted by the Ebay Press team. I'm not arguing with your literal interpretation of the wording, but anyone who knows Ebay knows that it has sellers like Amazon has sellers. I don't think we're misleading anyone. If you feel mislead, however, I apologise.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

No need to apolgise to me, I have been using eBay for many years and know how it works.

There is a difference between eBay and Amazon, Amazon actually sells items as well as acting as a market place, eBay doesn't.

The news item could be more accurately worded.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"The news item could be more accurately worded."

Yes, it could. We've looked into this, and I agree that your use of the word 'misleading' is justified. We'll amend the wording accordingly, but that won't happen for another 36 hours or so.

In the meantime I repeat my earlier apology - thanks for drawing this to our attention.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers