We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Largest tapestry

natdoor
Resolved

Likes # 0

The world's largest tapestry is to be created depicting Scottish history culminating in the opening of the Scottish Parliament. Doubtless this will depict many battles fought with the English but I doubt that it will include the most significant event of all. I refer to the Darien Venture, which resulted in Scotland's bankruptcy and led to the Scots agreeing to the Union of Parliaments in return for a sum, known as The Equivalent, of £398,000 being paid to the Scots.

Should the Scots decide that they wish to be independent, I feel sure that with their renowned integrity, sense of fair play and generosity they will wish to repay this to the English. At a compound interest rate of 5% this comes to a mere £1.7 trillion. I am sure that the Englis would accept a Scottish gilt with, say, 5% coupon in perpetuity.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ooooh yes! I'll accept that deal no probs...

Like this post  
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It does include the Darien Scheme. Great Tapestry of Scotland. The list of the 107 panels (why 107?) makes interesting reading.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Thanks for pointing that out, Woolwell. I heard of it on the radio today and should have realised there would already be a website.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Oh ye of little faith!

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Well, with the Darien affair doubtless shewn as a great adventure I note that Culloden does not make the list.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I would be most willing to lend my FREE adept tapestry, finger-skills, to the Cause...if they'll let me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why I think the Apple Watch sucks and you'd be mad to buy it

IDG UK Sites

Swatch launches a colourful smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: TV streaming service delayed, hand gesture interface being...