We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sweeny Todd out of Business soon

Grey Goo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Another outrage from the Chancellor,still should keep the anti obesity lobby happy.

crimp here

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Not as good as the Dandy's Desperate Dan's Cow pie. Only pale imotations around now...

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/entertainment/articles/2012-02/16/cow-pie-dandy-desperate-dan-style-recipe-mall-tavern

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's a 'storm in a pie crust'.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. Whatever happened to the horns which used to stick out of the sides of the pie?

Incidentally, how I wish that I had kept the first copy of the Dandy (or the Beano). I could be rich now. But I remember buying them on my way to school when they first came out.

I used to stop and read it with an old man, at his front door. Who talked to us kids on our way to and from school. He enjoyed talking to us and we enjoyed talking to him. Now-a-days I suppose he would have been pilloried and classed as a paedophile for what then was perfectly natural. I know there is many a time I would love to talk to young children and daren't do so. The world has gone crazy.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bingalau When I was stationed at RMTC Ghaijn Tuffieha in Malta in 1957, the younger marines would read the Dandy and the Beano prior to the weekly film show. I think the modern equivalents reading material is a bit more sophisyicated!

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Health and safety

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I was in my local butchers last week.

I bought some pies, on display in the window, which she told me to be careful of as they "were hot as they were just out of the oven"

Should I have paid VAT under the new "clarification"?

How long would I have to wait for them to be deemed as "at ambient"?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sweeney Todd ...Flying Squad..."I'll have two pies, Guv, one with VAT, and one stone cold..."

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

john bunyan. How on earth did you manage to remember how to spell the name of that place, Ghaijn Tuffieha? I have happy memories of being there. All of which we are unable to talk about on here. I suppose the natives still use the same name, but it seems to have been renamed "Golden Sands Bay". I was also surprised to find the last time I visited the island that they had managed to build a road across the only other semi-decent bit of sand on the island at St. Paul's Bay. Why did they do that I wonder? Maybe it was the same engineers from Libya who built the tunnel and never met in the middle, so causing a bit of a chicane half way through.

I always remember that the first rule of the road in Malta was to drive in the shade. Lovely country and lovely people, I like going back there. But you can't get tick in Jessie Bar any longer.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"as only the peasants ate this pie"

What, with the price of "tsp mace tsp nutmeg tsp cinammon pinch salt 4 pounds of currants half a pound of candied orange, lemon and citron peel half a pound of dates " in the 18th century?

I doubt it!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...latest pie shop(s) closure in Glasgow (southside)...and Hamilton...

http://www.hamiltonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local-news/hamilton-news/2012/02/02/hastie-s-bakery-to-shut-in-blantyre-51525-30246830/

...their scotch pies and rolls were very tasty...but expensive!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...