We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sweeny Todd out of Business soon

Grey Goo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Another outrage from the Chancellor,still should keep the anti obesity lobby happy.

crimp here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Woolwell

That is a perfect argument against fourm member's 'claim that they are only selling it hot because customers like to burn their fingers.' defence!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Will we see pie shops with 'heat it yourself' and 'use our microwave free' signs

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Getting back on track.

Would we see a lot of takeaways that are apparently open 24/7, cutting back hours to teeter just below the VAT registration threshold, or opening a different shop next door as a separate business overlapping opening hours, to avoid being liable for VAT?

Would we see multiple outlet bakeries (like Greggs) registering each shop as a separate retail business buying cold pies (VAT free) from Greggs wholesale supplies?

Would we see the supermarket rotisserie counter become a franchised counter separate from the supermarket itself?

Burger vans in laybys are well below the VAT registration threshold so wouldn't be affected.

As usual there will be a lot of confusion from a rushed through idea. The Jaffa Cakes (is it a cake, or is it a biscuit) syndrome will be argued for years.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

'There may well be one baker's in the country that still opens at 0500 on Good Friday to sell hot hot cross buns but the country won't go broke if they don't get charged VAT on them.'

But of course, unless in the unlikely event that small baker sells enough hot, hot cross buns, on Good Friday to exceed the VAT threshold, that won't be a problem.

I recall when VAT was first levied on fish & chips (or takeaways in general) consumed inside premisses as opposed to being carried out. A lot of chip shop keepers were so paranoid that they would ask you to leave should you dare to eat a chip while you waited for your mates to be served because they thought the VAT inspector that was spying from behind the lamp post would present them with an instant VAT demand!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I gave up hot pies 'n' 'sausage rolls' ( for new year resolution...so does not affect me...anyway, my fingers are in too many pies already, digitally speakin'.

And may I say, not in a shy way, I find it all, so amusing..

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Dunno what Simple Simon is going to make of all this.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

This is getting like the Jaffacake VAT dispute. Is a cold pie VAT able?

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/blog/068-jaffa-cakes/

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Humble pie is not available with or without VAT from our MPs.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Woolwell

Ingredients

Entrails of a deer - stomach, washed intestine, liver, etc beef suet to the same weight as the deer entrails 10 cloves tsp mace tsp nutmeg tsp cinammon pinch salt 4 pounds of currants half a pound of candied orange, lemon and citron peel half a pound of dates pastry

How to make it

Parboil the Humbles of a Deer Take all the Fat off them Add the Beef Suet and mince it very small together Season it with Cloves,Mace ,Nutmeg ,and a little Cinnamon and Salt Put some Currants,Candy's and Dates ,stoned and sliced Fill your Pye and lid it When baked put in some Sack and serve it This ancient recipe is from Castle Howard in Yorkshire and is the inspiration for the saying "to eat humble pie " as only the peasants ate this pie ,the better meat being saved for the aristocrats .It was written down in 1734 .

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Probably tastes like Tesco's "Value" meat pie

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED