We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sweeny Todd out of Business soon

Grey Goo
Resolved

Likes # 0

Another outrage from the Chancellor,still should keep the anti obesity lobby happy.

crimp here

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Now no more will we wonder who ate all the pies!

But it's a bit cruel including the supermarket rotisserie chicken, that's not an item that I've seen anyone walking down the street devouring savagely.

The vast majority, if not all supermarket rotisserie chickens are bought to save time and electric used in cooking them yourself. It's also another kick in the groin to pensioners that seem to buy a lot of them as an easy prepared source of a proper meal.

So in effect it fails the governments green drive as it's much more green for a supermarket to cook hundreds of chickens in one go, than for 300 families to run a domestic oven for 2 hours or so.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Perhaps outrage is the wrong term but a silly proposal it certainly is.

Not silly because there is a real need to have fairness and transparency which I think was the aim but silly because it fails the test of enforceability.

The tax is paid if the food is served "above ambient temperature" Hmm, well there's many a Cornish pasty from my homeland which could sit in either category depending on the time of the day it is bought.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As I understand the change if I go into a pasty shop and buy a cold pasty and heat it up at home then I will not pay VAT however if I buy it heated then I do pay VAT. When for VAT purposes is a pasty hot or cold? Will there be temperature probes? It's now cooled down enough so VAT is not payable. Interesting to see how this is enforced.

Pushing up the price of hot pasties could well cause outrage in my area.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

fourm member - Many pasty shops cook their pasties on the premises. So if I buy one just out of the oven, as fresh as possible, then do I pay VAT or do I wait an hour or so for it to cool down and not pay VAT when it is not so fresh?

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

fourm member

Not in Cornwall. Most pasties are cooked and then displayed for sale. Some I grant you will have cabinets or microwaves but very many do not.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

anskyber - "Not in Cornwall." or Devon.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It'll be interesting to see how they enforce it in Bakewell.

Will we have some tarts claiming to be hot when they're clearly not, and if they are not hot, will they be upgraded in status to maids of honour? Which will surely be a gross travesty of trades description...

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

I live five minutes from Bakewell, I'll check it out for you.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What about hot cross buns? We used to queue at around 5 am to buy them freshly made and hot on Good Friday.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

anskyber

Yes, check to see if anyone's put emergency planning permission in for a new nunnery!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote