We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland Bill

morddwyd

Likes # 0

A bit overshadowed by the budget is the Scotland Bill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17458231

Among many other things, Holyrood is to get power over drink driving and speed limits.

SNP have long wished to reduce the drink drive limit more in line with the rest of the EU.

Best get our extradition treaties drafted!

However, since the UK Supreme Court has the power to overturn Scottish convictions, some interesting times ahead.

(And please don't come over all serious and tell me the tax raising powers are far more important; I'm just having a bit of fun)

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "Referring to him as Gideon is rude and infantile. There's no other way of describing it"

At the risk of inflaming our esteemed morddwyd, I really must point out that over the last day or so I have noticed people like Andrew Neil, former Times editor and (I think ) a respected political broadcaster, and many Press headlines all using 'Gideon' when referring to our Chancellor.('This Week', last night, had numerous examples by Neil and guests).

Does this mean that, because, - as you opine, "There's no other way of describing it" - all these people/organisations are also infantile?* - and rude?

Or , can we assume, you simply have some personal 'hang-up' over the name Gideon?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Did you know...there was a British film made in 1958, called..." Gideon's Day "...where the 'hero' had an eventful but frustrating day!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...and if anyone dares to call me infantile...let them!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fourm member - my clear inference was ...that Gideon Osborne had a 'bad hair' day, yesterday, in the aftermath of his " 'Robin' the Poor, to help the Rich " Budget. He will be known to me as Gideon The Robber!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morrdwyd - I was getting a bit fed up, the way you were ...sorry for going off course.

fourm member - I am only trying to encapsulate the mood of the country (Scotland)...with a bit of humour...nobody would like to be called Gideon!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Was it not Gideon's Way but maybe I am wrong.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Ignore that.there was a Gideaons Way and a Gideons day so looks like we were both right.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

buteman - US title was 'Gideon of Scotland Yard' ... for good measure!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The late great Jack Hawkins, also a TV series.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Actor Jack Hawkins had a presence about him, on screen, a bit like Lee Marvin, just my opinion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room