We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland Bill

morddwyd

Likes # 0

A bit overshadowed by the budget is the Scotland Bill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-17458231

Among many other things, Holyrood is to get power over drink driving and speed limits.

SNP have long wished to reduce the drink drive limit more in line with the rest of the EU.

Best get our extradition treaties drafted!

However, since the UK Supreme Court has the power to overturn Scottish convictions, some interesting times ahead.

(And please don't come over all serious and tell me the tax raising powers are far more important; I'm just having a bit of fun)

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Perhaps you should have read just a little bit longer as I think there is also mention of a plan to prevent the UK Supreme Court overuling the Court of Session which makes sense as Scots have a completely different legal system to England.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Wee 'Eck must be laughing all the way to the Independence bank today, after that Budget. Scots don't need much reason solidify their inbuilt hatred of Tories(and add LibDems, now!) - but giving them this 'granny-tax' ammunition was manna from Gideon for the Yes campaign!!

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

A quote from 1984? "As the BBC personal money pundit explained this morning people will not be any worse off they just won't be as much better off as they would have been without the change."

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

"..is as infantile as.."

To compare me using a perfectly correct 'birth-name' with you actually distorting a former PM's name must be even more infantile than your pathetic accusation.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Toneman " ..people will not be any worse off they just won't be as much better off as they would have been without the change."

Yes, classic gobbledeygook from Tory Central Office, via fourm member, I reckon!

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I accept that the pensioners will benefit from the increase in personal allowances but then so will all workers who pay tax. So the difference is the age related allowance will not increase in line with inflation and therefore the true value of the allowance will reduce in line with inflation.

I rather see that as being worse off. There is further irony in that we are always asked to plan ahead with our finances, those coming up to 65 may have done just that only to see the allowance vapourised in front of them.

The heralded increase in the basic state pension is no gift to the ameliorate the reduction in the value of the age related allowance even though it is trumpeted as such. The increase would have happened any way under the triple lock policy previously announced. Given the inflation rate was high last September when the percentages for increase are set it the lock that the Chancellor found himself in has simply been spun to his advantage.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member "That's why I included the point about Georgios Kyriacos..."

You are,it seems, suggesting that he has common ground with celebrities - and he did a name-change to aid his career, as many of them do? If so, I suggest delusions of grandeur.

He's hardly a Marion Morrison, is he? Or possibly you think he excels at fictional drama.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

It would appear that calling someone 'infantile' is your theme for today, so I will refrain from rising to your pathetic bait - or doubtless we will see your usual claim that someone is being rude to you, or some such nonsense!

I fail to see any reason for the fuss about me calling Mr Osbourne by a birthname - as a politician I'm sure HE must be used to worse - why, I wonder, is it mattering so much to YOU?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Would you two please knock it off?

I don't want yet another thread locked because of your infantile antics.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Perhaps you should have read just a little bit longer"

I did.

It said the system would be reviewed.

That doesn't necessarily mean changed!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room