We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget Thoughts

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few years ago this forum would have a bit of a ding dong going about the latest budget. So far today Nothing. So I will put my halfpenny worth in. Is it right that us poor pensioners are punished? After all, most of us are the ones who kept this country going through the bad times and some of us even through the last war. (anticipating Brumas, I wasn't in the Boer war or the first World war).

What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 1

Known as the Family Allowance, the 5 shillings a week payment was given to parents only for their second and subsequent children, thus helping shore up the depleted population by encouraging more births.

Surely we don't need this now (encouraging more births).

I think they should phase out child benefit payments or at least restrict it to two children.

At the moment too many live off the backs of us, the tax payers, and they just think "the more children we have the more money we get".

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 1

FE

I accept what you say regarding a Chancellor using information and advice of Civil Servants.The trouble is I believe that to be part of the problem. You seem to believe these people are 'extremely experienced and expert economists.' I would have thought that history proves them to be anything but.

Anyone who has attended budget meetings will know, as I am sure you do, that so much in-house wrangling goes on that the whole thing often descends into a sort of in-house competition to grab a larger chunk of whatever is available. Nobody ever achieves what they set out to achieve but at least, like it or lump it, everyone finishes up singing to the same hymn sheet. Governments don't. Even this time the Chancellor's growth forecast is at a variance with the OBR. Who is right? If he decided to ignore the OBR you have to wonder from just where did he get the figures he used or, more likely, did he just use his figures for better effect.

You mention data supplied by HMRC. The examples I am going to give here are at operative level, although some of them have claimed to be senior managers, but in any case they are, presumably, ultimately employed by the experts to which you refer.

HMRC, along with the DWP, is a shambles. Since retiring fully in December 2010 these two departments can't even agree with each other about my simple affairs and I haven't agreed with either of them. I have only recently paid money to HMRC that they insisted I did not owe. I understand basic maths, I promise you HMRC and DWP operatives do not.

I have not collected a single benefit in my life so why did the DWP start paying me a small sum on top of my State Pension money when I turned sixty-five? I knew that I was not due this money. They continued to pay even after I told them to stop. After eight months they did stop and put their Debt Collection people on to me to snatch back what had been paid.

Even if a Chancellor could organise a budget that might work, the people he relies on will let him down, and of course there are hundreds of departments employing thousands of these people - Public Sector workers, doncha know!

Oh, and yes, back to where you started: my personal opinion of politicians, and that's all politicians, is probably just what you imagine it is.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 1

The biggest threat to pensions comes not from State Pension tinkering but from Quantitative easing. Printing virtual money is destroying returns and driving down annuity rates.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

AitchBEE "..the OAP's with free bus passes don't pay cash."

The bus company collects cash from the LA for every 'free card' scanned on the bus, so that cannot be a reason for stopping that bus. It can presumably only be lack of 'bodies' using the bus, pensioner or otherwise.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Quickbeam "Open your eyes, it's all around us!"

Sorry, but when folk use that argument I know they are struggling for a factual one.

To respond, I would simply say that, like most other people, I do tend to have my eyes open when I'm up and about and I don't particularly see all the evidence of these 'scrounging' young mothers.

Yes, I see young girls pushing prams, but as yet I've refrained from questioning them on their moral attitudes or asking why they have the children (and who is paying their rent!) - in fact most of them seem quite normal, if a little young (but that's all relative isn't it?).Even policemen are now starting to look very young!

However, read other facts and find out how our society is having their children at older ages, due to both parents now needing to work, and girls' biological clocks ticking away. This can cause great expense to our NHS, as complications become more pronounced in 'later' conceptions.

Nature works best when young girls conceive, so get off their backs, these kids are ALL our future!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

these kids are ALL our future!

But with an increasing number of our futures coming from second, third and fourth generation non-working, non-contributing, non-caring, non-expectational, non-able, non-committal, non-(add your own description), how long along the way before future generations look back and think why didn't our generation get on their backs and stop the decline of a social work ethic.

If we don't get on their backs now, (and I not restricting that to single mothers, there are plenty on non-working ables that won't try to keep a job and only go through the motions to satisfy the social people), we'll present the future generations with a fait accompli in social apathy.

I'm the youngest of 5 in a postwar family, my father was a relatively well paid tunnelling engineer, but my mother still went to work with 5 young kids to give us the extras in life. I really do resent any non-working, no intention of ever working, but able to work, idle spongers expecting a quality of life that taxpayers have to justify through effort and prudent budgeting.

Now this is not a rant badgery, it's the honest and true thoughts of what many hard working people think of the sub-expectation gimme, gimme, gimme class.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

And at that I bow out on this subject, I can say no more safely within the forum rules.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

'But with an increasing number of our futures coming from second, third and fourth generation non-working, non-contributing, non-caring, non-expectational, non-able, non-committal, non-(add your own description), how long along the way before future generations look back and think why didn't our generation get on their backs and stop the decline of a social work ethic'

'Now this is not a rant badgery, it's the honest and true thoughts of what many hard working people think of the sub-expectation gimme, gimme, gimme class.'

No it's not - 'the honest and true thoughts' It is your thoughts & I would thing many including myself just do not see things like that - As I drive around I see hundreds of youngish people working hard & often long hours, some of these idle people are also self-employed.

Some I personally know often have more than one job & are supporting themselves & educating themselves at the same time - You cannot state opinion as fact.

No doubt 'some' hard working people agree with you however I would think a fair amount do not – Typing in bold font does not reinforce your opinions either.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

'And at that I bow out on this subject, I can say no more safely within the forum rules' - I think that speaks volumes

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If you google 'teenage kicks' or 'teenage turtles' ...you might find ....'You Get What You Want'.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'