We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget Thoughts

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few years ago this forum would have a bit of a ding dong going about the latest budget. So far today Nothing. So I will put my halfpenny worth in. Is it right that us poor pensioners are punished? After all, most of us are the ones who kept this country going through the bad times and some of us even through the last war. (anticipating Brumas, I wasn't in the Boer war or the first World war).

What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Input Overload. Young girls all over this country were not so promiscuous thirty years ago. Merseyside was no exception. Over the years things have deteriorated as these young girls realise that they do not have to go to work like their grand-parents etc., had to. So more and more of them are jumping on the bandwagon. Youngsters in Merseyside are no better or worse than those in Tyne side or Thames side. There has been a steady decline in morals over the last thirty/forty/fifty years. When I was a lad of sixteen or seventeen if I had put my hand on a girls knee I would have been given short shrift and I knew it. Now "anything goes" as the words of the song put it. These days if a young girl or boy of fifteen hasn't "been layed" they are unusual.

As for voting this lot in to power, the answer is "No! I normally voted Lib. Dem. But this time for some unknown reason I voted labour. Maybe some more of us pensioners/veterans/seniors should have done so too.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

john bunyan

The children you are objecting paying for will eventually be the workers who will support your old age with their taxes.

How many young couples nowadays can honestly feel secure enough to say "Now we'll have kids". It's as it's always been, the 'drive' to procreate overcomes all reason - that's how the human race survives. Get on with it while you are young, I would say.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

badgery I doubt we will agree on this. The country and individuals have been living on too much borrowing to artficially improve life styles, and the chickens are coming home to roost. Of course we need people to follow us but not too many - the world's population has more than doubled in my lifetime, and the UK is also overcrowded.If you cant afford something like a new TV, wait. If you can't afford kids do not expect others to pay for them. Of course we all pay towards their education up to seconary level - fair enough, but except in exceptional circumstances it seems totally wrong that people can have 5 or more kids they cannot afford.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I guess the cream doesn't work. Maybe it's time for some loratadine 10mg with water

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I agree that the tax threshold for pensioners is being frozen, however the increase of £5.30 on the basic pension (£102.15 to £107.45) will help to offset that. The pensioners who are below the tax threshold will gain £5.30, while those on pensions above the the threshold will lose out (If you are well above the threshold. you are on a good income).

I know that ist is a while yet but from 2016 the pension system is changing (again) and every pensioner with 30 working years will get (at todays prices) £140.

As with all changes, some will win and some will lose, and before you ask I will be retiring this year (after the changes have come in.)

Terry

Like this post
Snec

Likes # 0

Looking through these posts makes me wonder if a large proportion of those posting actually understand why there is a need to budget in the first place.

Not that I believe politicians (learning on the job, as they do) are capable of creating working budgets in any case. They have not got a clue, if they had we would not be in the mess we are.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Just tried the BBC Budget calculator and that informs me I will be £273 better off, I will wait and see before I go out and spend it.

Noldi

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Snec

Whatever our personal opinions of politicians, it's worth remembering that a Chancellor's budget decisions are underpinned by information and advice provided by Civil Servants, many of whom are extremely experienced and expert economists. Decisions about taxation are informed and influenced by considerable amounts of research data supplied by HMRC.

Ideologies obviously play a big part, but to a large extent all governments end up arriving at many similar conclusions where the economy is concerned, although opposition Shadows may not often care to acknowledge the fact.

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

The £5.30/week increase in the basic pension was the amount set last summer as the increase in the basic pension to be applied in April (this year). I can't find the formula at the moment but basically it is based on the cost of living or RPI in one of the summer months. I am sorry to be so airy fairy about this but all I am trying to say is that it is not a sum of money that has just been produced by the Chancellor but is in accordance with a set down formula.

Snec

Writing as a pensioner and only expressing my own thoughts it is not so much not appreciating that cuts are necessary as resenting the insult to my intelligence by saying that a change in pensioners' personal allowances which will raise in excess of 1 billion pounds is not in reality a pension cut.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Lucky or prudent pensioners with over £24000p.a. already lose 50p per £ over £24000 until the level reaches the normal level. Terry Brown That £140 only applies to new pensioners in 2016. Those of us who have already retired, and had to have 44 years in work to ket the state pension will not get the same level. This seems most unfair especially if the qualifying work period is reduced to 30 years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...