We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget Thoughts

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few years ago this forum would have a bit of a ding dong going about the latest budget. So far today Nothing. So I will put my halfpenny worth in. Is it right that us poor pensioners are punished? After all, most of us are the ones who kept this country going through the bad times and some of us even through the last war. (anticipating Brumas, I wasn't in the Boer war or the first World war).

What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Winston Churchill brought in the retired tax relief in 1925 as a recognition of the fact that most retired people had paid tax all their lives. To gain votes?

When you are retired your expenditure may be less but it almost certain that your income will be considerably less than when you were working. It is the amount left over or not left over each money that matters not whether you are spending less as a result of being retired.

I see AitchBEE that continues his ridiculous contributions.

Like this post
anskyber

Likes # 0

I should really have posted the following here rather than under the Scotland Bill thread, apologies all round.

"I accept that the pensioners will benefit from the increase in personal allowances but then so will all workers who pay tax. So the difference is the age related allowance will not increase in line with inflation and therefore the true value of the allowance will reduce in line with inflation.

I rather see that as being worse off. There is further irony in that we are always asked to plan ahead with our finances, those coming up to 65 may have done just that only to see the allowance vapourised in front of them.

The heralded increase in the basic state pension is no gift to the ameliorate the reduction in the value of the age related allowance even though it is trumpeted as such. The increase would have happened any way under the triple lock policy previously announced. Given the inflation rate was high last September when the percentages for increase are set the lock that the Chancellor found himself in has simply been spun to his advantage.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Woolwell...it was just a thought.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I must remember and get a certain "Member" some skin cream for his very obvious sensitive skin.

Call it a Granny Tax or anything else you may care to but the simple fact that the Chancer tried to hide it in some gobbleligook phrases clearly shows to me that he knew exactly what he was doing and the reaction it would get if people cottoned on to it immediately.

His explanation this morning was pretty pathetic.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

FE "Fewer than two out of every hundred single parents are teenagers"

I suspect most of us mean "Bastards" when talking about single parents - not those that have suffered bereavement.It is an insult to widows to class them as single parent especially as they are often from an age where they did not sleep around anything like todays girls - but i guess they are all grouped together for just the point you make - the real problem of out of wedlock kids can be hidden. Did i not read recently that 50 percent born ,in recent year,are now "Bastards".

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

I certainly think that the youngsters on a very small wage and little chance of big improvement in their take home pay would be foolish to consider saving for old age. Enjoy it now. We see many our age that have never worked (on paper - black economy) and now get far more from the state than those that worked and paid tax.It is nice to own your own "Pile" and know you can leave it to the cats home but on the other hand - when your rent is paid no council tax all repairs done free etc you have to be "well off" not to think who is the fool? We are "comfortable" thank you and planned to do the round the world bit on retirement - BUT - ill health knocked that on the head and we certainly think we should have spent more time away from work when we were fit.

Like this post
Grey Goo

Likes # 0

Tax tablespay up here

Not sure if they help or hinder the postings

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Bingalau - From your second post it does appear you voted the present parties into power?

If you did they are using 'your' mandate, a bit late to stop the train now?

'For instance, thirty years ago when young girls weren't so promiscuous ' In Merseyside? - Are you really serous? :-)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woody

"I suspect most of us mean "Bastards" when talking about single parents - not those that have suffered bereavement"

What on earth does all that mean? You're using a word that has no real validity in today's world, and frankly there's not much point in trying to discuss a subject like this with someone who is living in the past.

A single parent is just that - a parent who is without the support of a spouse or partner. Why a parent is in that position is irrelevant as far as the statistics are concerned, and it was a statistic that I quoted. I quoted it because Bingalau mentioned something that annoyed him, and I wanted to put his example into context. Why you should think that there's a problem with what you call "out of wedlock kids" is beyond me. Why should a child be a problem, just because his or her parents weren't married?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It has been proved that children of stable relationships (married or not) do better in life, so there is a problem with the children of lone parents who often end up disadvantaged. I just wish that people would ensure they can pay for children before deciding to have them. Apart from excepional cases, why should I, who have kept my numbers of children within my means, be expected to pay via my high taxes for feckless people who have more children than they can afford? Maybe that sounds harsh but there it is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more