We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget Thoughts

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few years ago this forum would have a bit of a ding dong going about the latest budget. So far today Nothing. So I will put my halfpenny worth in. Is it right that us poor pensioners are punished? After all, most of us are the ones who kept this country going through the bad times and some of us even through the last war. (anticipating Brumas, I wasn't in the Boer war or the first World war).

What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I am surprised with the high price of fuel that an extra 3p a litre starts in august, i thought he might have left it alone.

Why was no increase on booze with so many town centres now having problems with drunks and the nhs being hit hard with high workloads from drink related matters.

as for oap's he could have given them tax free savings

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

sunnystaines - There is an increase on booze, the existing plans to increase it haven't changed. From the BBC "No change to existing plans on alcohol duty - meaning the duty will rise 2% above the rate of inflation, putting more than 5p on the price of a pint."

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

fourm member

The new personal allowance will still give all taxpayers the relief at the standard level, higher rate payers will not get the full benefit of their 40/45p band, but will still get some extra, as you admit (and as I said!).

Why must you always disparage any comments that don't align with your own by accusations of being 'prejudiced' when you are possibly the most prejudiced poster on here?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

badgery

In the case of many people getting , say, £45,000, although I have not yet studied it too closely, and it seems to have been underplayed, I think this group may be a bit worse off. Although the standard rate relief threshold has gone up, I think the trigger point for 40% has dropped about £1000 so those just over the 40% trigger point will be a bit worse off, and £45,000 is less than a London Tube train driver gets.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Just checked a hypothetic case - yes the total tax take for someone in that position is an increase. Somewhat surprised there is not more discussion of this as there must be many in this category in the South.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

The figures for the last 3 years of where the 40% is triggered: 2010/2011: £37000; 2011/2012: £35000; 2012/2013: £34370. This seems a very "progressive" tax and offsets the apparent generosity in the standard band.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"Being retired is much cheaper than working for all sorts of reasons"

Not neccessarily. For example if you were lucky enough to have a company car, subsidised canteen etc at work, there are extra costs on retirement. Assuming you have paid the mortgage, I do not see savings unless you downsize your house. Of course for commuters there would be transport savings but these days better off retirees seem increasingly to have to "help" children and grand children. I suppose it is a case of "horses for courses"

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What amuses me most, at Budget Time (every Budget Time, not just this one), is that many well known Independent Interviewers allow their political leanings to become obvious in the phrasing of their questions.

The other is that HM's Opposition are frequently left hoiking around for hairs to split when it comes to criticising the Budget.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

"Being retired is much cheaper than working for all sorts of reasons."

The rising prices/costs of food, gas/electricity, etc affect older people, even moreso than younger citizens of this nation.

But, I have to agree, fm, that a lot of older folk tend to downsize the cost of their lifestyles, to match their reduced incomes, in general.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Are 'Budget Thoughts' the one's everybody has when they are fast asleep?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses