We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget Thoughts

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

A few years ago this forum would have a bit of a ding dong going about the latest budget. So far today Nothing. So I will put my halfpenny worth in. Is it right that us poor pensioners are punished? After all, most of us are the ones who kept this country going through the bad times and some of us even through the last war. (anticipating Brumas, I wasn't in the Boer war or the first World war).

What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The give away element from various governments over the years has never been enough to make a noticeable difference in my pocket.

The take element also has never made too much of a noticeable difference as I only consume moderately.

So for me it's a big non-event.

As regards the lifestyle single mothers, I think the only solution to that is workhouses.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

No use arguing today when we new yesterday what was going to happen.

Must be the worst kept secret ever of any Budget.

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

I would hope that pensioners will have long enough memories to influence their voting at the next election.

Or maybe that's Gideon's brilliant idea - most of them will become too senile to even remember what he did today!! But, hey, as long as a few top people will pay more on their £2million mansions , then we are 'all in this together' - aren't we??.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What annoys me is that young 14 and 15 year old girls can still purposely have a child so that they can live off the state for free. Surely something could and should be done to stop this shameful practice."

Fewer than two out of every hundred single parents are teenagers, the average age of a single parent is just over 38 years.

There are around 2 million single parent families in Britain, a figure that has remained fairly constant for the past fifteen years or so, and over half of all single parents are working.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Osbourne has just 'massaged' or 'jingled' the loose change in his pockets, but has actually did nothing to encourage job creation or real economic growth...I should have been an MP ;o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...and why have you GREEN-ticked your post, Bingalau, after a couple of hours?

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

FE. I must assume then that those 2% of teenage mothers are all living in the Merseyside area. Because I know of at least six of them. Furthermore they are quite happy to state that they got pregnant for that very purpose. What was the figure of single parent families prior to the last fifteen years? For instance, thirty years ago when young girls weren't so promiscuous and didn't want a free house (which they get now at the drop of a hat... or other item of clothing) and a free income?

I can't speak for the rest of the senior citizens of this country, but I for one will not be voting for the Lib-Dems (sorry Paddy) or for the Conservatives, unless they pull their respective fingers out of their ears and listen to and aid the poorly paid Senior Citizens. (Incidentally, "I'm o.k. Jack" as I have other pensions coming in. But once again I know pensioners who can hardly make ends meet). I'm on their side.

(The Paddy I refer to is of course a comrade in arms, Lord Ashdown). In the past I have tended to vote for the Liberal party, not because of Lord Ashdown but because I have always wanted the underdog to win in any walk of life. I shall now be having a re-think. Pity we pensioners can't have are-vote!

At our weekly get together in the Naval Club tomorrow, when the ladies are having their Bingo session. If 65 is called out they usually all mutter together "We lucky pensioners" I wouldn't mind betting that tomorrow the muttering will be changed to "We unlucky pensioners".

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

AitchBEE. It saves me forgetting to tick it at all, which a lot of people seem to do on these forums as mentioned elsewhere.

fourm member. If you can't figure it out for yourself, then you are obviously not a pensioner awaiting a slight rise every year to cope with galloping inflation.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It's all a bit complicated for me, so I tend to go by the BBC "analysts".

Couples on £100K will get child benefit, the average pensioner will lose £26 a year.

Probably over simplified, but that's what they said.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

FE "There are around 2 million single parent families in Britain"

Does that figure include widows/widowers and divorced parents?

I know for a fact that widows become classed as single parent for claiming Benefits.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?