We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Budget promises ultrafast broadband for UK cities

simonjary
Resolved

Likes # 0

The Chancellor says that the UK government will fund ultrafast broadband and Wi-Fi in 10 largest cities, and spend £50m on the smaller cities, too.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

that will be nice for all the public sector workers that have just had their pay cut.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Yet again the biggest cities appear to be promised another upgrade whilst the small towns continue to live in the stone age. Surely anyone who has more than 20MB should be told no more until the rest of the country catch up.

I know Hell may have to freeze over first but it did happen tonight when Tevez took the field again in a MC shirt so who knows? :-)

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

The point is, the providers can't always supply what you want anyway.

I've tried to get Virgin cable and am willing to pay a premium for a fixed IP address (as I do now) and they can't/won't supply it. So when BT came along with their Infinity offering, I tried again; NO! You can't have a fixed IP address.

Now I know there are ways around the problem, using dynamic DNS, but it's not what I want for my business. These suppliers have a dual monopoly and you get what they want, not what you require.

So all the spouting in the world about fast Internet, whilst being technically correct, is not supplying customer needs.

It'll be interesting when IPv6 becomes more mainstream to see if attitudes change. After all, with the plethora of available addresses, there will be no excuse not to. But I'm not holding my breath.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps we all might have to go 'satellite', because around my neck of the world, and I believe elsewhere, cable theft is on the increase. And that doesn't seem to worry the offender's as to whether the cable might be low or high voltage, or how much damage is caused, getting this cable. The same with copper piping, whether gas or other substances.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I laughed when "superfast broadband" was mentioned on the local News lastnight,as the Newsreader also tried to find out what speeds actually constituted superfast and failed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Why not promise 'normal' broadband to everyone. Not everyone lives in the cities.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad