We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for the Name of a Musical Genre

wee eddie

Likes # 0

What was it: a heavy Light combination.

Iron Butterfly, Lead Zeppelin, Curved Air, et alia

It must be old age but, for the life of me, I can't remember.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Reading the other replies, and you saying it pre-dated the traditional prog-rockers, and pre-dated musical genre labels, I would say that you'd be free to call it what you want.

After all who will argue with your chosen term?

Like this post
bluesbrother

Likes # 0

At the time it was just "Rock".

From a review of Led Zeps first album from answers.com "Zeppelin created a majestic, powerful brand of guitar rock"

Led Zep review

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

What genre would Rolf Harris's versions' of 'Stairway to Heaven' and 'Smoke on the Water' come under ... it makes me wonder!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

To really confuse things, Frank Zappa's most excellent version of Stairway To Heaven is probably classed as Reggae

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Quickbeam: This particular description pre-dated the Term, Heavy Metal or Prog-Rock, although the Bands, that were later described as Heavy Metal and Prog-Rock were alive and kicking then.

Maybe it was just a transient term for that particular Genre or possibly one used solely by our sector of the Rock Hippy Sub-Culture.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Just mailed Bob Harris, maybe he'll remember

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Well if he doesn't know, nobody does.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wee eddie - if Bob Harris replies to your question...you'll have to 'listen up' 'cos he is famously known as 'the whispering' Bob Harris, from his days on The Old Grey Whistle Test, on BBC2, many moons ago.

You will know that already, of course!

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

We used to call it Underground Music.

Like this post
onionskin

Likes # 0

Acid Rock?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer