We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How long does your smartphone’s battery last?

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Recent research has shown that battery life in smartphones is suffering due to adverts in free apps running in the background. See Short smartphone battery life? Blame free apps

We want to know how long your smartphone battery lasts. Let us know here in our poll.

Thanks, PC Advisor staff.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It needs charging every day, my old un-smart phone could go fortnight easily.

If I turn off wi-fi, blue teeth, etc when they're not required, I can get 5 days.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you close the app and check that it isn't running in the background through task manager then you will not have ads running. If you want to play games on it, run lots of apps, use GPS, etc then you can expect the battery life to shorten. I think the report is a bit harsh on ads but ought to be pointing out that perhaps if they used the phone as smartphone and not a toy it might last longer.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I can kill mine inside 1hr by using satnav,listening to music online etc,or I can turn off everything & get 6 days or longer.I would love to uninstall most of its apps,only they came pre-installed on it & as a result I have to leave WiFi on at home so they can chat with whoever through my router & not use up my bandwidth.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I get two days out of my HTC Desire S before it starts complaining that the battery is low, although I rarely hammer it.

A couple of months back I left my phone on my desk at work on Thursday, and wasn't back in until the following Wednesday, it was still switched on, but had automatically shut down everything except the cellular receiver.

Like this post
STREETWORK

Likes # 0

Iphone 4 = about 1 day

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

My niece has recently acquired a Blackberry and needs to charge every day,her I phone is, in contrast, long life.My old C905 was every day,my present W995 every 3 days,when on internet every day.So battery life does depend on usage as Chegs says.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

HTC Wildfire ... Charge it every third day, but only use it as a phone and a few texts.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I'm not a smartphone user but it occurs to me that this used to be (still is for me) a frequent topic of discussion for new adopters of laptops a few years back when they became an affordable alternative to a desktop machine.

Stemming from that I think an obvious suggestion is to turn the screen brightness down if possible.

WTM

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

my phone lasts a day no problem although i do turn off what ever is not needed bluetooth etc

Like this post
Matt Egan

Likes # 0

We just did a straw poll about smartphones and tablets in the office. We have an average of two of each, each (occupational hazard) and very few of them last a whole day in use. My iPhone 3GS, for instance, can barely scrape through a working day without a recharge, but then (a) it is old and (b) I listen to music on my walk to the station, manage my email almost entirely from my phone as I travel to and from work, and use it pretty constantly to check the site, check the site analytics, post to Twitter/Facebook etc. If I was using a laptop for the same tasks I'd be amazed to get beyond three or four hours. And, intriguingly, my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and BlackBerry PlayBook both last a lot longer, even under the same strain. Bigger screen and device, but also a much bigger battery.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more