We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Peking to Bejing

marvin42
Resolved

Likes # 0

On the thread about temperature conversion, somebody said "changing centigrade to Celsius was on someone's whim. So was changing Peking to Beijing, a decision taken entirely in Washington."

This is not true. Peking is a romanisation of the Cantonese for "Northern Capital". When China made a point of making Mandarin the official language they made it clear that they expected the rest of the world to respect that decision. This meant that a translation was in order. Bejing is the romanisation of the Mandarin for "Northern Capital". So China didn't change the name of their capital - they changed their official language.

What a sad life I lead!!!

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Ahso = ah so desu ka = Oh, that's how it is

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It was morddwyd that said that, I thought it was Prof Shufflebottom that changed it, we must both be a little dim sung...

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Two number sevens and a fifty two please.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Miké I hope you've got some Rennies if your eating that combination!!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"they made it clear that they expected the rest of the world to respect that decision"

Then we should make it clear to the French that it is London, not Londres, and I fully expect the Germans to insist on Köln, Munchen and Bayern.

What about Roma or Milano, or even Caerdydd, Abertawe,, Inbhir Nis (Inverness) and Ghlaschu?

If the inhabitants of a country are to decide what the rest of the world must call their country, where will it end?

I cannot even write the Russian for Moscow, let alone pronounce it!

Sri Lanka, Mumbai, Myanmar and the like are somewhat different, they changed their names to shake off another shackle of imperialism.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Morddwyd

It is pronounced "Mock Baa". Maps and atlases are normally printed to suit the country they are used in so French maps will show countries and cities with their French names. The same is true in Russia but some countries show their English equivalents in parenthesis for convenience of English speakers.

Of course not everyone uses Latin script so interpretations are some times used. Where I spend much of my life the language is tonal so English translations for the same place can vary. Phatphong and Patpong being the same place in English as PH is pronounced P and not F. In Thai script you would have no idea what it was. It makes driving a little more exiting.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

morddwyd

""they made it clear that they expected the rest of the world to respect that decision"

Then we should make it clear to the French that it is London, not Londres, and I fully expect the Germans to insist on Köln, Munchen and Bayern"

You're missing the point - the Chinese don't call it Bejing. This is romanised just as Londres is the French version of London etc, etc.

"If the inhabitants of a country are to decide what the rest of the world must call their country, where will it end?"

It's alright if I decide what to call you then? (As long as it's polite)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Of course some places defy a translation to suit other nationals. Heckmondwike, Hooton Pagnall, Mythomlroyd. We all have some place names that strange even to modern English.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I just checked to see where the origins of Heckmondwike lay, possibly Viking I thought, it does go back a very long way pre-doomsday, with the name being Old English but with only 7 families recorded there in 1379, (inbreeds you all say). Anyway, it seems that they became famous for having a Blanket Hall in the past, enough to make any true Viking LOL in his Mead Hall!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...forgot why I looked after all that. It seems it would translate to Milkfarm or something similar.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite