We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Peking to Bejing

marvin42
Resolved

Likes # 0

On the thread about temperature conversion, somebody said "changing centigrade to Celsius was on someone's whim. So was changing Peking to Beijing, a decision taken entirely in Washington."

This is not true. Peking is a romanisation of the Cantonese for "Northern Capital". When China made a point of making Mandarin the official language they made it clear that they expected the rest of the world to respect that decision. This meant that a translation was in order. Bejing is the romanisation of the Mandarin for "Northern Capital". So China didn't change the name of their capital - they changed their official language.

What a sad life I lead!!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Aitchbee Manors, is situated in Castlemilk...to this day, I don't know how it got that name...Castlemilk?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Thanks Quickbeam, I will treasure that great link.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Is Ardencraig Road still there as I once took a girl out from 168? I used to pass through Castlemilk in the daytime as I went to Philipshill Orthopaedic Hospital to pay the wages every Friday and it was decidedly more friendly then than it was when it got dark.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Condom, many of the not-so-old tenements have been demolished and replaced with new 'posh' houses, near the bottom end of Ardencraig Road, the Carmunnock Road end.

Downcraig Road, where my family were brought up, has also been completly re-developed, but the primary school (St Margaret Mary's), was demolished - 5 years ago,along with some other primary schools in the Castlemilk environs.

The other end of Ardencraig Road is rather desolate with lots of boarded-up windows and doors, and always seems to be strewn with litter, plastic bags, empty cans and bottles etc.

The 75 bus does a complete tour of ...'Desolation Row'

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Song title alert!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Just checkin', QB, to see if you were awake ;0)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...anyway it's before the 9 am watershed!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)