We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Plastic bag ban?

interzone55

Likes # 0

This is a very interesting article about plastic bags, they're not as bad as they're painted, especially if reused as a bin bag

BBC link

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Lidl give you, the shopper, the option of about five different plastic bags...of various strengths, thicknesses, and volume capacities...the bags are at the check-outs and if you don't wish to use/purchase any of the bags,sobeit. I use a permanent shopping bag, that goes over my two shoulders, leaving my arms available for other purposes.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

Most supermarkets are the same, you can buy strong plastic, fabric and insulated bags from Asda.

The point of the article is that unless you reuse the fabric bags hundreds of times, they're less environmentally friendly than the freebie plastic bags.

Paper bags are a seriously bad idea, as they use three times the resources to manufacture and distribute, but are almost never reused.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Lidl also charge for their bags!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Paper bags can easily break and plastic bags can break. The long life bags can too break, Ive broken so far about 10. Gone back to the supermarket given a replacement. im considering shopping trolley, the old pensioners use

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

but who will foot the bill.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I reuse the plastic bags as bin-liners,& try to remember to take the long-life bags with me but as we often walk home with the shopping its more likely we take two haversacks which leaves our hands free.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

I'm a double offender, I always forget to take bags, and drive to the supermarket.

Mind you, I have to drive as the nearest decent supermarket is the Asda in Morecambe, which is 8 miles away.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

MANY THANKS, Chegs ...haversacks was the word I was a-lookin' for...for over-the-shoulder recepticles.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My own view is that a Plastic Bag Tax is the best way to go.

However: Those places that have tried the Tax, so far, have been much to timorous and I think that the starting Rate should be 20p, for one of those little vegetable bags, 50p for a normal sized Carrier Bag and £1 for a Re-usable Bag.

That Bacteria thing is a complete Smoke Screen. Everything has Bacteria on it, most of those are not Pathogenic and of those that are, very few are potentially harmful.

With that sort of price structure, folk would pretty soon start to remember to bring their Bags with them. I Roll and re-use all bags and have taken no more than a couple of new ones in in the last 2 years. Many of those, so called, single use bags have done more than 20 trips. Although the Tesco's ones seem to peg out after 8 or 9 uses and I've now run out of those. I still have a dozen, or more, Morrisons and M&S Bags in the Bag Holder in the Kitchen I always keep a couple of spare Bags in the Door Pocket of the Taxi and another couple in the side Pocket of the Rucksack that I use when I'm on my Bicycle.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

Old carrier bags are useful for putting dead birds in. They're usually ones that the local cats have dropped in my garden for whatever reason. A nasty business.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'