We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

qatar owns britain

rickf
Resolved

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Quickbeam"

The bank can't apply for a tax credit on your behalf because it doesn't know what your individual tax status is. You must do it as part of your tax return.

It has nothing to do with trusting the bank - it's not the bank's fault that governments make taxation laws complicated.

If you buy shares in a foreign business you must expect your dividend payments to be subject to the laws of the country in which the business is registered. In Santander's case that country is Spain, so dividends are taxed according to Spanish laws.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hmmm, on the basis of that, I'd stick with UK based investments for the small time investor. 19% is a seizable chunk to ignore.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

"I'm not sure the FE is right to say you can reclaim it."

You would be right,if that is what I said, but it isn't what I said. I said you can claim a tax credit. The amount of that credit will depend on HMRC's assessment, as explained in the link I posted for morddwyd.

In general terms I think that a UK taxpayer who receives dividends from foreign companies will usually be eligible for a tax credit amounting to one ninth of the total dividend. HMRC will advise on individual cases.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Which seems to reiterate morddwyd's opinion 'it's too complicated'!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It is complicated, we should be able to sort this kind of thing out a little better inside the EU.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Which means we'll just have to live with it or use the mattress more.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I can understand a reluctance on the part of EU governments to surrender to community-wide taxation measures, but I cannot understand why it should apparently be impossible for them to get together to devise a means of smoothing out tax anomalies like this one.

Surely one tax authority could speak to another, and agree to devise a simple system for their respective investors?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"And I was trying to be helpful by pointing out that your wife can claim a credit."

Thank you, but I don't think either of us have much idea what a tax credit is.

All we know is that she once had some savings inn Abbey National and she now ends up paying Spanish tax.

Like this post  
rickf

Likes # 0

Gone off track.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

rickf

They often do...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer