We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frannie Frith Vs Fran & Brumas

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

After the proclaimed disappointment this week by Brumbo and some others over the Francis Frith programmes, that are recreating century old scenes with a modern take, I thought I'd have a go myself.

Not too long ago Brumas listed a scene of Doncaster markets on his Friday night quiz that looked to be from around 80+ years ago, so that is the location that I first went to. Brumas's picture was taken from the same spot as my No1, but from an upstairs window in a building overlooking the market.

I didn't quite like that view myself from ground level, so I decided that No2 gave a better view from that side today. I then went around the market square and shot several views of Doncaster Markets. I think they all give an impression of a busy market in differing ways, weather it be the Corn Exchange Building, the market shoppers or the market traders.

But the main point being would they tell a tail in a centuries time when Brumas's Gt Grandson is doing the Brumas Collection Quiz on Friday night, would they by then be seen as having that quaint appeal of a bygone age worth discussing like the man in a deckchair canvas, should we still be taking pictures of the everyday and ordinary for next century's people to view?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

FE

it's no use I'm hopeless, I haven't the patience, artistic eye or sense of spatial/somatic? awareness to compose a shot which would attract a second glance.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

One thing I notice this morning was the number of suspicious faces glaring at me as if I was a benefits investigator collecting evidence, compared to the Frith era where the whole village turned out to gawk at the strange photographer chappie.

The other thing was that the modern delivery vehicle, compared to a quaint horse and cart is like a mobile block of flats for obscuring a scene.

And hi-viz vests are a complete eyesore in colour, they make deckchair canvas look quite fashionable!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"all I need is for my son and daughter to get married"

I think you'll find that's illegal!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

morddwyd, I see you haven't lost your sense of humour old pal ;o}

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

buteman "If I remember correctly there were statues on top of one of those buildings that Brumas posted.I don't see them now."

You've got a good memory, this picture is as near as I remember Brumas's being. You must mean those on top of the stone gables. They must have been removed when the open stalls were replaced by the permanent enclosed fish and game market.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

6 cheapest 4K TVs in the UK 2014: Get a UHD telly without breaking the bank

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air (11-inch, 256GB, Early 2014) lab tests and benchmarks

IDG UK Sites

How to stop your parents opening and responding to phishing emails

IDG UK Sites

Google to ship first Project Ara developer boards in July