We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Frannie Frith Vs Fran & Brumas

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

After the proclaimed disappointment this week by Brumbo and some others over the Francis Frith programmes, that are recreating century old scenes with a modern take, I thought I'd have a go myself.

Not too long ago Brumas listed a scene of Doncaster markets on his Friday night quiz that looked to be from around 80+ years ago, so that is the location that I first went to. Brumas's picture was taken from the same spot as my No1, but from an upstairs window in a building overlooking the market.

I didn't quite like that view myself from ground level, so I decided that No2 gave a better view from that side today. I then went around the market square and shot several views of Doncaster Markets. I think they all give an impression of a busy market in differing ways, weather it be the Corn Exchange Building, the market shoppers or the market traders.

But the main point being would they tell a tail in a centuries time when Brumas's Gt Grandson is doing the Brumas Collection Quiz on Friday night, would they by then be seen as having that quaint appeal of a bygone age worth discussing like the man in a deckchair canvas, should we still be taking pictures of the everyday and ordinary for next century's people to view?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Very good. Why is that person wearing a top hat in no 18?

Should we still be taking pictures - yes.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Where's the dog?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, fine photographs and yes, I do believe they give an accurate representation of life around a market in the 21st century. Now all I need is for my son and daughter to get married and provide some grandchildren!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Brumas, I hope you will still be around yourself. Who Knows? someone might well find that elixir of life and we could all still be going strong.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Woolwell believe me I tried to find a dog!.

Brumas Yes your competition's survival depends on it!

Also as you mentioned in the Firth thread that you like to see how the places look now, well most home location pictures have one of us living not too far away, maybe members nearby could provide an up to date image of some of the more interesting locations. After all, we have a truly national forum, it might add an extra dimension to the old postcards if a new take can be seen too. Just a thought.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, "maybe members nearby could provide an up to date image of some of the more interesting locations", one of your better ideas ;o}}

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If I remember correctly there were statues on top of one of those buildings that Brumas posted.I don't see them now.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

There are millions more photographs being taken today, compared to 100 years ago. The people of the next century should be far better off in terms of archive imagery - in terms of both images and footage.

As long as we can devise ways of preserving the data files for that length of time.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Forum Editor I'd need to take millions to get one just as good as Francis Frith :o{

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Brumas

I once heard David Bailey say that the secret to getting a Memorable image it's shoot hundreds of pictures. Ansel Adams - my favourite photographer- adopted a different approach; he sometimes spent days waiting for the light to be just right for his legendary landscape images.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'