We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do re-use your bread

finerty

Likes # 0

use your loaf?

As the article goes on we the Brits waste bread by throwing it away, the article writer doesn't seem to understand that sell by dates are much shorter these days and there is a possibility of yeast infections.

And bread does go green with mold.

Im sure there are many who do re-use bread by feeding the pond birds and in cooking, and the old sarnies. But people's health comes first.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have been feeding a very big, common pigeon, which lurks at my back door entrance...for the past week or so (every day), on premium bird seed mix.

Tomoro, it's in for a surprise....bread-crumbs!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Feeding bread to ducks is not good for them Feeding ducks

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I haven't thrown away a single slice of bread in years. As soon as I buy bread I put it in the freezer. If you are lucky some supermarkets sell bread cheaply at times, and so I can freeze a couple of loaves at a time. I take out what I think I will require for that day and it is usually about four to six slices. That defrosts in no time and is always fresh. If you require it to defrost quicker you can put it in the toaster for a few seconds. I like the crusts better than the innards (and am grateful that I do not have my brothers to argue with, over who was getting it when we were kids). One of the pleasures of life is a nice thick crust thickly covered in best butter. So send your crusts down to me if you don't want them. Oh yes, I will not tolerate margarine. It's got to be butter. Us pensioners know how to live you know!

Too much food is thrown away these days and we could do with another period of rationing to teach people how valuable food is. My partner and I can live on about £20 of food a week at a guess. That is both of us. we prefer the simple dishes like egg on toast, or a pan of stew/scouse. A reasonable pan of scouse last week lasted both of us for three main meals through the week. After the first meal we made what was left, in to a pie and that was plenty for the next two days. We matched it up with chips one day and new boiled spuds the next. That pan of scouse cost us about a fiver to make.

We are not hard up, nor are we misers. We just think people spend too much money on food and then throw it away. There are also too many cookery programs on TV which cause people to go for things they can't make or don't like when they have made it.

By the way there is a pub near us which does a lovely lunchtime menu and a cheap meal for a pound and a penny every lunch time. O.K. it is not steak and chips or salmon and petit pois, but it is filling and tasty. The pub then does a roaring trade selling beer to wash down a decent little curry or something like that.

But whatever you do, try freezing your loaf and taking out just enough to last you for the day, most pensioners like me do so.

Throwing unused bread away attracts rats and is a crime.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I do same as Bingalau except we haven't got the pub with cheap grub near us. I've been to do the weekly shop today and as was stocking up on baking ingredients and breakfast cereal it was a little more this week, £26.64p at supermarket.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Woolwell

We mostly eat granary bread, which isn't bad for ducks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I used to live next to a wild fowl sanctuary and learnt that bread, especially white bread, is bad for them. It applies to swans as well as ducks Stop feeding the swans.

Another bad habit is feeding feral pigeons or seagulls with bread. They then over populate the area and make a mess. I have come across bread rolls put out for foxes. Foxes do not need the food and certainly not near houses. The discarded bread also encourages rats.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

Bingalau - Apart from the pub with the cheap meal, I could have written your post of 9:09pm. LHO is a convert to a pan of scouse, and I used to make a massive pan of it every darts night when I was stationed in Berlin. The Master Butcher was in the team, so we got the best cuts of meat, and the veg was prepared by the kitchen hands. I would go down to the kitchen after work, and set to. The Germans used to lap it up. Just had a crust with a liberal helping of butter for supper. Oh, ecstacy!!

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

British rail.

Now they knew how to use old bread.

Cheese and pickle sandwiches with loverley curled up edges.

Yumee.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Bingalau

"or a pan of stew/scouse" What is this ?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ton, can't resist A whole mess o' stuff cooked in a pan -

Meat, onion, potato, carrot and other bits all cooked in pan http://www.scouser.com/scouse-recipe/

Stew: as above with variations of ingredients

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad