We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do re-use your bread

finerty

Likes # 0

use your loaf?

As the article goes on we the Brits waste bread by throwing it away, the article writer doesn't seem to understand that sell by dates are much shorter these days and there is a possibility of yeast infections.

And bread does go green with mold.

Im sure there are many who do re-use bread by feeding the pond birds and in cooking, and the old sarnies. But people's health comes first.

Like this post
JYPX

Likes # 0

So easy to freeze and defrost bread.

Reading about people who waste food is so depressing. I have a friend who sometimes goes to bed hungry (although not if I can help it....) Yes - there are people in the uk in 2012 who don't have enough to eat. Buying food that you don't intend to eat is IMO shameful and disgraceful - and I don't care how faddy your kids are.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Doesn't last long enough to go mouldy in our house. The ends of the loaves usually get left in the bread bin to do a bread pud with and even after a couple of weeks they don't go mouldy.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Before I bought a breadmaker we used to waste some bread, although not a lot. This was because it was not possible to buy loaves in the size we wanted. By the time we got partially through the end had gone stale. On the whole we waste very little food.

Part of the problem is that people don't know how to cook or don't have the time so they buy ready prepared and throw part of it away. I wonder how much pizza is thrown away?

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

On my way to work on an evening i sometimes shop at a local Tesco and see them ,often,fill two bin bags with both bread and baked produce to throw away.

I can imagine the sheer waste that occurs as a total for just this one shop.

Woolwell has the right idea,being considering that point a while,bake my own when i need it and in the quantity i require.Sometimes end up throwing at least a quarter of the loaf away.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Modern plant bread has as much water as modern technology can make it physically hold, so there is no real stale bread as in a traditionally made loaf.

Bread mould, is just like cheese mould, it can be cut off and you can carry on eating it as normal. Or you can keep it for poultices it you're a witch.

I like toast in the morning so I don't have much waste bread as slightly stale makes better toast than fresh. Any waste after that goes to the birds.

If you like sweet puddings, treacle tart is simple bread crumbs mixed with golden syrup in a tart case, nothing else. Bread pudding has been mentioned.

My family think I strange because I like stale bread for dunking with soup, I don't think I'm strange at all (no comments required).

Really stale bread can be whizzed in a food processor for bread crumbs on your fish, they don't have to be dyed luminous yellow and cost a fortune.

All these things are what the older wartime generation did with waste, as it was a true sin during a war to waste any food.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sliced wholemeal bread seems to last longer than white sliced bread...I prefer to buy individual rolls that have hard crusts, and have been reduced in price...usually after 7:30pm at my local bigname-store.

ps. I have never seen green mould on bread...mainly blue, indigo or violet hues...the blue end, of the mouldy-old-dough spectrum!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The blue mould is where penicillin was found by your fellow countryman Aelander Fleming, but it's much more effective in tablet form from the Docs, than from an orally masticated pulp from a toothless old hag stirring a big cauldron, with or without the bats wings...

Like this post
ordep

Likes # 0

I believe in France, people shop twice a day for bread.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The problem with making tarts or bread and butter pudding tends to be the high fat content.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Any spare bread is eaten by the couple of dozen ducks on our lake

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015