We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So farewell the Britannica

interzone55

Likes # 0

After 244 years of deforestation Encyclopaedia Britannica has ended it's print run to move to a pure digital edition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17362698

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

morddwyd I used to love to read my grandfather's Arthur Mee's children's encyclopedia from 1905 , in about 1940 - 1941. The pictures of how they thought aeroplanes would look in 1955 are still in my mind - huge propeller driven "paper" planes with passengers strolling on open decks!I still learnt a lot of (now outdated) science.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

My uncle had one of the old sets with the annual volume and I used to spend hours going through the section which covered those who had died the previous year.

Although it moved to the USA many years ago it was of course another product of Scotland and in the 70's I was fortunate enough to get a copy of the original 3 volumes which Britannica had printed for some anniversary occasion. These will always remain in my bookcase despite most of the content being rather dated now.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Phew So heavy to carry. Thank goodness for the cd

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room