We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

So farewell the Britannica

interzone55

Likes # 0

After 244 years of deforestation Encyclopaedia Britannica has ended it's print run to move to a pure digital edition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17362698

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That is sad. My Mum and Dad forked out about £50 for a set of ten encyclopaedias back in 1955...I've still got 'em.

How will they be able to digitize the smell of old books?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 1

Just open an old book from the attic below the screen when you surf Britanica online...

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...never thought of that ;o)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have a complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica bought many years ago at an exorbitant price. They are now worthless except perhaps to a collector. They look nice on the bookshelf and we are reluctant to scrap them but the data in them is now all online and more up to date.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I remember thinking when I was about fifteen that when I grew up.... I would buy a set of them. Now I don't need to.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I often see incomplete sets of Britannica at car boot sales and second hand book stores. For an incomplete set you'll pay about 50p a volume.

some information stays the same, but science and geography move on, and Britannica is out of date before it's even printed, so it makes sense to drop the expensive to produce print edition

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"...when I grew up.... I would buy a set of them. Now I don't need to."

Is that 'cause you know it all now?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Britannica was always one of my dreams, but I never was able to afford anything beyond Arthur Mee, at one volume a month.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd...my parents had to take out a mortgage, to pay for the volumes!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Britannica used to supply an update annual in the same style, covering, etc as the other volumes. This update came at a price of course. With the volumes, indexes, annual editions and one or 2 other volumes I have a total of 42 books. I shudder to think how much they cost and the total value now could be very small indeed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite