We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Water saving tips

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

Dwr Cymru (Welsh Water) are coming tomorrow to fit a water meter.

I have already filled two water butts and put a brick in the toilet cistern. I know about not running the tap when washing teeth. But what I need are some of your own expert water saving tips.

Any advice will be most gratefully received.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The last time I asked for a water meter to be fitted the rental was more than the annual water charge.

I did not proceed!

Like this post
badgery

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Must be pretty special water round your way at £600 pa! (Then again the 'pool was always a bit special for me!).

Good Scottish water costs me £224 pa,(£18.50 per month) for a large detached house. Never even considered asking for a meter, nor have the water people asked me to have one.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I remember chatting to one of my hospital engineers about bricks in cisterns and he told me it was OK to do in large systems as they always had a lot of use. Dual flush sytems were also good provided you used the shorter flush for waterworks.

He told me a larger flow was better for solids and that using a brick often left the drains at risk of gumming up as there was not sufficient waterflow.

I'm not sure how accurate all this information is but it cetrainly put me off using a brick at home.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

The problem with bricks is that they have a tendency to crumble after a time, and drop small pieces all over the bottom of the cistern.

A far better idea - if you want to use less water in an older (non dual-flush) cistern is to use a plastic water bottle. Fill it about a quarter full of sand or gravel, and top up with water. Screw the top tight and place the bottle upright in the cistern, well away from the float arm mechanism.

If you must use a brick, get an engineering one -they are much harder, and will not shed debris into the cistern.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Many water companies will provide a free water saving device for the cistern Free water saving devices but it is inadvisable to fit one with a dual flush system.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

ams4127,

After many, many years of thinking that it was best not to have a meter so that everyone could/should pay the same, a friend of mine got one fitted a couple of years or so ago. He has been bragging about his savings even though he and his wife had a child about a year ago.

We were paying over £37 a month, so last year we took the plunge and opted for one just as they were being compulsorily fitted round here. We have had our first bill - but only for more than 3 month's usage - and it was less than our monthly bill. Being pensioners my wife and I regret not getting one much sooner, but I suspect if we had had any children it would have made a difference, but would hope that at our age any children would have left home, so I think the size of family determines whether or not a meter is a good idea.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

Housten

Many thanks. That is the sort of proof I was looking for and bears out the reports I am getting from friends living in my locality.

The man from Dwr Cymru turned up this morning and had a look at where the meter will be fitted. He told me that the stop cock in the driveway came from the ark! He will be back in a couple of weeks to dig up the drive and fit both a new valve and the meter.

The Memsahib and I are also both retired and our four children have long since flown the nest. I am going to look around for a dual flush cistern and fit it upstairs. I intend to leave the loo in the outhouse alone as this is a very old house and I'm none too sure of the sewage route. I do not want it to become blocked. We don't very often use it anyway.

Thanks again to all who have responded.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Try diluting it to make it last longer!

WTM

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

Why are they fitting a water meter? Bad times ahead, I think, especially if there's a burst between the meter and house. 'Change your mind' is the best advice I can give, even if you live alone. Ever more so if you don't.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Our water costs went down around a third when we had a water meter fitted last year. Recently we found our water was coming through brown one morning. We were advised to let a cold tap run for at least 40 minutes. A credit was added to our account to pay for it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today