We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Francis Frith

Woolwell
Resolved

Likes # 0

When solving Brumas' postcard puzzles we often look at Francis Frith's site. There is a TV series starting on BBC2 at 6.30 pm starting March 12th. Could be interesting. Britain's First Photo Album

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Thanks, that sounds a good series, will be recording it to peruse at my leisure. Fascinating snapshots of history in old postcards/pics. Francis Frith would be amazed if he were still here today to see how his idea/project has developed.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Woolwell Rest assured this will be viewed with great interest, with John Sergeant at the helm it should be very informative.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I think the programme researchers have missed a trick if Brumas doesn't get a mention for all the pictures he used here... or will he and he's keeping quite?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

p.s. Why has John Sergeant appeared to have adopted the the Quentin Crisp look, was it all the lovies he met doing Strictly Come Dancing...?

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, your cheque is in the post ;o}

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

It wasn't bad but I do wish he would have recreated the Covent Garden photo instead of doing a modern slant on it. There will be certain locations where none of the original scenery/buildings remain and he will have to improvise, as he did with Drury Lane, so I do think he would be better in recreating a true Before and After shot whilst it is still possible.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I forgot about that, I'll iPlayer it when I have time.

It looks like a new word has been invented on the back of the new technology.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've just watched it now before walkies Brumas. There is also a website with extra information about it click here and here.

I'm mostly looking forward to finding out when Francis Frith's first recorded image of the ubiquitous streetwise dog with a cheeky face and cocked head disdainfully staring out the photographer, that didn't really want it in the picture in the first place, was published:)

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, I thought it was yours old pal ;o}

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Missed it last night. So like Quickbeam, I shall iPlayer it later. I must have been watching "Pointless" and forgot to change channels while I was making my evening meal. I quite like Pointless but I think they will have to change the format soon as poor Alexander Armstrong will get sick of saying the same phrases over and over again. (I wonder why there are so many quiz programs and antiques programs on TV these days)? Maybe they could use a "Guess The Postcard" show, base it on the format of Brumas's idea and send him lots of lolly. I know he must be hard up because he's always sending virtual cheques through the post. (Mine's probably on its way by return of post).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made