We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bingo Tombola etc.

Bingalau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Whilst serving in the Royal Marines and also with the Royal Navy, we played an entirely different game of Tombola to that which is played by the modern housewife in clubs etc.

What I would like to know is. Do any ex-navy/bootnecks or even members of other services on here remember any of the unusual calls for the different numbers (such as five and nine-the Brighton line, which seems to have survived in to the civilian version)?

I can remember Kelly's Eye; Pompey Whores; Bishops; The Maltese Goat; Two Walking Sticks; Doctor's Chum and a few others. Can anybody add to these? So that maybe we can end up with a complete list. I know on some ships numbers were not called at all, so you had to know the code or you never stood a chance of winning anything. Maybe we should steer clear of the rude ones to avoid the wrath of you know who!

Perhaps we can reminisce about the huge winnings available in the China Fleet Club in Hong-Kong? The local Chinese loved their gambling, so much so that the club was crowded on Tombola nights. To win a line would have set me up for a few months. But I never did win a bean.

Maybe we can also start a thread on the rules of "Uckers"? Anyone for Deck Hockey?

I will not divulge the word that came up on my spell checker to replace "Uckers".

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Ah, The China Fleet Club - They even let us use the "Senior Rates" Bar on the odd occasion.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Bingalau see Navy Games. But I fear a silver mouse coming with this thread.

Tombola wasn't around much by the sixties/seventies. Uckers though was. It depended on what ship you were on for the rules - mixey blobs, blow backs, etc.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Whilst on a recent bus tour holiday, in Garve - Highlands of Scotland, the night entertainment provided was in a big conference room,in the hotel, and the DJ was calling the 'numbers' at bingo.

It was a great night...everybody was seated round a very big table. (about 30)

A wee woman, seated next to me, won 2 'houses' in a row.

My Mum used to use Swizzels (little sweets) to cover her numbers on the BINGO cards.

....Key of the door....number 4

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It was a night at the round table.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

We used to play Uckers in the fire brigade,this stemmed from the Naval tradition which permeated the service.

I well remember the cry of Uckers you **ers when a game was in the offing!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I remember attending families Tombola when attached for underwater demolition training with the RN Clearance Divers on Manoel Island in Malta in the '60's. I regret that at that time I went in the hope of "trapping" (to use a pussers phrase) so cannot recall the calls!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The reason Tombola was so popular was that it was the only form of gambling permitted in clubs, messes and Naafis.

A regulation honoured more in the breach Utah the observance, particularly in the time of National Service when the likes of Mr Ladbroke ot Billy Hill had to do their stint!

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

Trapping! "Good game, good game" as Brucie would say..

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I recently purchased a DVD game at my local charity shop for £2.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9sc1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acheatwell+race+night&keywords=cheatwell+race+night&ie=UTF8&qid=1331204892

"Experience the thrills & spills of a night at the dogs...at home!" it says on the cover.

I hope to do just that, at our next family get together.

It's still unopened, BTW!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

try this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000BX8JN6/ref=s9bbsgwd0g21ir04?pfrdm=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pfrds=center-2&pfrdr=14GY4N68AHSBZ794SZZF&pfrdt=101&pfrdp=467128533&pfrd_i=468294

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers