We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new to smart phone, help?

rickf

Likes # 0

I have just taken up a contract on my first smart phone. Comes with free 100mb internet usage. I don't have any idea as to whether this amount is sufficient for checking my emails and replying to them. I get about 20 a day. I DON'T intend to surf the net with the phone as 100mb is miniscule for that. Just using it for email access. Thanks for any help or experience you have with this amount of usage. I know that this may well be an impossible question to answer but would appreciate any response.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

" I'll use wifi as much as possible but does'nt that count as using up bandwidth?" It will only matter if you have a cap on your broadband at home. It does not count towards your mobile contract data usage.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

Do you have the facebook app? If so get rid of it straight away, not only does it use bandwidth in the back ground, but I found it reduced my battery life by about 30%.

Look out for apps updating themselves. I only run updates when connected to wifi.

I use my phone for email, football score updates, facebook updates and a few other bits of surfing and have never got close to my 500mb cap.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

alan14

That's interesting comment about updating applications, I use an HTC on Virgin Media and for the last couple of months its been nagging me to update the operating system, I've been putting it off because it is a download of 266MB, but because it was getting to the end of the month when I get my new allocation I decided to download the update as I had about 460MB left. I was amazed to see that the system update didn't count towards my 500MB cap, I thought it would have done, but it didn't.

All the other application updates do count against my 500MB.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

octal

The system update is pushed out by the network, so by rights it shouldn't be counted.

I did my last Android update by wifi at home as it was much faster that way

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

Do you have the facebook app?

Yes,but unfortunately...

Uninstalling an app

Important: You cannot uninstall an app that's preinstalled on HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio.

Like this post
Toneman

Likes # 0

What qualifies as a smartphone? I can surf the Internet on my ageing Nokia 6288 but it's so slow I only do it for BBC news or an occasional Google...

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Some interesting comments about updates and Facebook app. With my Samsung Galaxy S I do not get firmware updates direct from the operator but through Kies on my PC and when I connect by USB. Therefore it doesn't use any of my mobile allowance.

Facebook app doesn't appear to use any bandwidth unless I use the app. Under settings I have the sync for Facebook turned off and it only syncs when I open the app.

Using Task Manager I can see what apps are open and close any that have remained running. The browser tends to be the biggest culprit.

GPS and using the phone as wifi hotspot tend to eat into battery life. It's rather sad that my modern smartphone has less battery life than my brick of several years ago.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

All good stuff for me learning from others' experience. Keep them coming. Thanks from a newbie to smartphones.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?