We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new to smart phone, help?

rickf

Likes # 0

I have just taken up a contract on my first smart phone. Comes with free 100mb internet usage. I don't have any idea as to whether this amount is sufficient for checking my emails and replying to them. I get about 20 a day. I DON'T intend to surf the net with the phone as 100mb is miniscule for that. Just using it for email access. Thanks for any help or experience you have with this amount of usage. I know that this may well be an impossible question to answer but would appreciate any response.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

100MB isn't much, but you might get away with it if you switch the internet off if you are not using it so that all the other Apps are not leaking you bandwidth.

I have just checked mine and I've used about 70MB this last month, so if you are using it for about 20 emails per day I would say it's a bit borderline.

Like this post
Bingalau

Likes # 0

I use my phone, which is handed down to me every time my lad gets an upgrade, purely for making and receiving phone calls. I haven't a clue what else it will do. Oh yes I know it can take photo's in an emergency when I have forgotten my camera.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

An email without any attachments is only a few kilobytes. Although an images in signatures will add up.

I have one customer who has so many images at the top & bottom of their emails that each message is a couple of megabytes. Until recently I had to delete all the images out of each email as we only had a paltry 100mb inbox...

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

hi, many thanks for the info to date. looks like a possibility for me then. shall set up to connect to the net and play it by ear. i just don't want to have to pay extra each month and playing on the sfae side. It's probaly sufficient for me by the looks of it as in actuallity I only need to use it to access emails on 3 days a wk as rest of the time i work from home.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

If it's only three days per week then I think you might get away with it, as you say, play it by ear and see how it goes.

I've got 500MB and I find that more than sufficient for my needs.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If you really get stuck on your 3 days a week away from home you could always get a cup of coffee in McDonald's (free wifi)!

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Depending on which make you have, and if it can handle apps of some format, there are plenty of free apps to install on your device that can monitor your internet data usage, so you can keep a detailed track of your usage. IPhones, Android devices and, I think, Nokia, all have forms of apps.

I have 500Mb limit and never get anywhere near it. For example, this month I have used 21MB. I do some surfing, have a few apps that use internet connectivity and do some minor emailing, but take advantage of wifi wherever I can. I am averaging only 31MB per month.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I get through about 200 Mb per month but it can be as high as 250. I haven't dropped below 100. I update e-mails, browse, the internet, use apps, etc. App updates can use a significant amount unless you use wifi.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

I only use my phone for occasional surfing of PCA web pages,yet was horrified when January's data usage email arrived.It was telling me I'd used nearly 800Mbs but fortunately I'd been given some free offer of extra data usage.In February,I deliberately avoided using the internet on my phone and was also turning off the mobile internet in settings,yet still was only 5Mbs short of my 500Mbs limit.The same month,I received a text informing me that I could buy an extra 250Mbs for £3.I declined and will try leaving the thing in airplane mode for this month,then lets see its apps use up my bloody bandwidth! I will also have a look at the user manual & see if I can discover howto uninstall apps as I don't use them.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Really interesting feedbacks for me, a new user of smartphones. Keep them coming. I'll use wifi as much as possible but does'nt that count as using up bandwidth? Confused!! Will also download app for info on usage as I have an Android phone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer